426 Getting To Hot

11 replies to this topic
  • dirttrack25

Posted August 14, 2005 - 02:47 PM

Was riding my bike the other day in some tight slow trails so obviously air flow was minimal and engine temps were high. Could this cause my bike to die often? I Would just be easing along and it would kill over. Im pretty sure it was my bad clutching skills, because after it died it would take 5 or 6 kicks to start. then last time it died it took me about 50 kicks and 20 mins of sitting for it to start again.

Posted August 14, 2005 - 04:25 PM

Did you do the 426 clutch mod? Those bikes were prone to overheating in the conditions you described. Do a search and you'll find the fix.

• dirttrack25

Posted August 14, 2005 - 06:38 PM

I dont think thats the problem. Mine is an 01 and isnt that problem just on 00's and the clutch shouldnt have anything to do with the hard starting? Should it?

• sirthumpalot

Posted August 15, 2005 - 02:28 AM

If you're at idle then it's easy to stall in the tight stuff. When restarting be sure to use the hot-start, that will save your leg a lot of pain. If you're jetting is off a tad then that can also make it easier to stall and more difficult to start. Try fiddling with the fuel screw a little to see if you can improve it any.

• MisterMan

Posted August 15, 2005 - 12:41 PM

when I stall mine hot, do this: pull out hot start, depress comp rel. and give it a good 20 kicks to clear it out, then try and start it /w/ the hot start still out... if still not fire, push it in.....hope this helps,

• 02YZ426

Posted August 15, 2005 - 05:49 PM

Try some Water Wetter or Engine Ice too... I doubt it will fix the problem but it will help keep the heat down quite a bit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirttrack25

Posted August 16, 2005 - 02:40 PM

Already has engine ice...Do you think it could be because a dent in the muffler? when i bought the bike it had the dent and its fouled 2 plugs since ive had it which is about a month. Maybe that dent is restricting flow enough to foul my plugs?

• biznet1

Posted August 16, 2005 - 02:56 PM

I doubt it's the dent. Look at your plug now to determine what color it is. It will tell you whether it's lean/rich.

• Pincushion

Posted August 16, 2005 - 03:04 PM

Is this a new symptom?
Whats your current jetting specs? temp, elevation, etc.....
sounds like your jetting could use some attention.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted August 16, 2005 - 03:20 PM

Maybe that dent is restricting flow enough to foul my plugs?

If you are referring to the dent on the bottom of the Muffler, it is by design. It is for clearance when/if you should bottom out from hitting your rear brake caliper... :D

Many threads on this...

• yamaboy23

Posted August 17, 2005 - 06:07 AM

spend the 100 bucks and install the 450 exhaust cam and 90 percent of your troubles will disappear along with a 10 oz. flywheel weight

• dirttrack25

Posted August 17, 2005 - 11:50 AM

Not sure on Jetting as i just got the bike about a month ago....Well it is new because the bike is new, its done it since i got it if thats what your asking. Im gonna be adding a Thunder Alley slip on muffler soon so ill check jetting then. If it still continues ill check more into jetting.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.