are my forks twisted ?

9 replies to this topic
  • dave-29

Posted August 14, 2005 - 01:26 PM

hi there i have just came back from a ride up the mountains and as normal i came off again not hard or fast more like a store and just falling over well on my way home i noticed that the bars were a little of straight can the twist like that if so how do i straighten them ?????

• jbrooks26

Posted August 14, 2005 - 02:00 PM

If you are running stock bars, trash them and put a quality set of bars on it. Problem solved. If they are not stock, you should be able to tell by sitting on the bike with the front wheel straight, look at the bars and check to see if one side is closer than the other. You will also be able to feel this. You can look down the forks and see if they look parallel or not, but my money would be on the bars. Hope this helps.

• Matty05

Posted August 14, 2005 - 03:09 PM

I bent my stock bars pretty easily when I slid out in a corner.

I second throw away the stock bars and get a set of fat bars. I havent seen any
of those bent yet.

GYTR has a great top triple clamp and fat bar combo you could check out on the
yamaha web site.

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 14, 2005 - 07:27 PM

Loosen your steering stem nut and the triple clamp bolts while the bike is up on a stand. Rotate your fork tubes 1/8 turn or so back and forth a couple times. Tighten Lower triple clamp bolts to spec per manual. Then same with upper triple clamp bolts and stem nut after eyeballing that it is straight. :D

• dave-29

Posted August 15, 2005 - 05:24 AM

the bars i have on is a after market set seeing i bent my bars the 2nd time i went out so i'm pretty sure its not the bars if it is the forks is it just a simple adjustment ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jah WR

Posted August 15, 2005 - 07:21 AM

Same thing happened to mine after a fall. The upper fork tubes can rotate slightly in the upper and lower clamps, very common. Put the bike on a stand and loosen the upper and lower fork clamp bolts. Then loosen the front axles clamp bolts and immediately retorque them. Everything should line up perfectly. Torque lower and upper clamp bolts to specs.

• dave-29

Posted August 15, 2005 - 11:43 AM

so by looseing the upper and lower clamps will it jump into place ? is this normal ?

• Jah WR

Posted August 15, 2005 - 12:04 PM

Yes, it takes a lot of force to actualy bend the forks so I doubt yours are permanently bent. The forks rotating slightly in the clamps during a fall is very common. If you do a search on this topic you will find many instances of this corrective action.

Technically, When the forks twist in the clamps, the axle shaft mount bores are not perfectly aligned axially. This causes a non-permanent deformation in bore and/or axle. The energy stored in the slighty (but not permanently) deformed wheel axle force the forks to rotate back into alignment once the upper and lower fork clamps are loosened. Let us know how it works.

• TwoBobRob

Posted August 15, 2005 - 12:29 PM

I've twisted my forks a couple of times now, loosen everything off as the others have told you and most likely, all the relavent bits and bobs will realign. Only once have I had to grip the wheel between my knees and tweak the bars slightly.

Once you've done that, tighten the triple clamps but leave the axle loose and pump the front up and down a few times, just to make sure axle and forks legs match nicely again. Just belt and braces really.

Without teaching you to suck eggs, it's well worth taking time to properly torque every nut and bolt on the front end, keep everything nice and uniform :D

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 15, 2005 - 02:11 PM

Once you've done that, tighten the triple clamps but leave the axle loose and pump the front up and down a few times, just to make sure axle and forks legs match nicely again. Just belt and braces really.

I have done similar but instead of leaving axle loose leave top triple clamp bolts loose. Doing axle too sounds like a very good idea.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.