wr450 vs 450exc blast

19 replies to this topic
  • drzjay400e

Posted August 14, 2005 - 01:22 PM

Good friend of mine sunk $300+ on a new yosh for his wr450. :D I want to help the guy out because I still crawl away from him :D with a stock 450exc (new jd jetting kit of course). What else can the fella do to keep up . How much money does he need to invest or should we convince him in getting the 525exc? :D

• deadcarnahans

Posted August 14, 2005 - 02:07 PM

What is a "yosh", and why do you have to crawl?

• Victor Champion

Posted August 14, 2005 - 02:31 PM

What is a "yosh", and why do you have to crawl?

The "yosh" is an exhaust pipe, and he means that he can slowly pull away from him in a race. :D

• Matty05

Posted August 14, 2005 - 03:05 PM

I was an inch away from getting a 525exc, the price put me off. Great bike though.

He could have a play around with gearing, a smaller rear sprocket may help with hook up
as would a new back tyre. Sitting a little further back on the seat helps too.

• jtrone

Posted August 14, 2005 - 03:12 PM

Has he done the free mods to his WR? That is very important to do right away.

• drzjay400e

Posted August 14, 2005 - 03:19 PM

He does not have any probs hooking up. He has done all the free mods and jetting was done also. He has applied a new smaller sprocket to the rear maybe a 47?

• Seabass

Posted August 14, 2005 - 04:47 PM

Tell yer friend to twist very hard with his right hand :D

• Blaster21996

Posted August 16, 2005 - 05:50 AM

Good friend of mine sunk $300+ on a new yosh for his wr450. :D I want to help the guy out because I still crawl away from him :D with a stock 450exc (new jd jetting kit of course). What else can the fella do to keep up . How much money does he need to invest or should we convince him in getting the 525exc? :eek:

:D What a good friend you are, trying to help your bud out :D , gee, you should be awarded some kind of good Samaritan award :D . There is just no way this kind of philanthropy should go unnoticed :D ! Lets all give this guy a big round of applause!

Lets get The record straight. 1/4 mile on the dirt. 6 races! 3 bikes, a 02 KTM LC4 640, 05 450 exc and a 05 WR450

RESULTS: Not even a race!

THE WR COMPLETELY ANNIHILATED ALL COMERS!!! I guess the Austrians need to stick to beer!
The caveat: To add insult to injury, I out weigh the competition (and I use the term competition loosely :D ) by at least 35 lbs at 255lbs :D ! The only way they could have beat me is if I had ran out of gas :D :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D :p

ps thats a 48t on the back, not a 47..... Oh, by the way I got something for you! :D

IN CASE YOU GUYS HAVN'T FIGURED IT OUT, "drzjay400e" IS TALKING ABOUT ME! I AM THE BUD! Aparantly he has asecret lust for a strong bike, witch is why he is stalking the WR board! :D

Here he is on the KTM board begging for help http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=282522 notice he says "I have to KEEP UP with Mr.Jones" :D

• banffboy

Posted August 16, 2005 - 06:21 AM

:eek: What a good friend you are, trying to help your bud out :D , gee, you should be awarded some kind of good Samaritan award :D . There is just no way this kind of philanthropy should go unnoticed :D ! Lets all give this guy a big round of applause!

Lets get The record straight. 1/4 mile on the dirt. 6 races! 3 bikes, a 02 KTM LC4 640, 05 450 exc and a 05 WR450

RESULTS: Not even a race!

THE WR COMPLETELY ANNIHILATED ALL COMERS!!! I guess the Austrians need to stick to beer!
The caveat: To add insult to injury, I out weigh the competition (and I use the term competition loosely :D ) by at least 35 lbs at 255lbs :D ! The only way they could have beat me is if I had ran out of gas :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

ps thats a 48t on the back, not a 47..... Oh, by the way I got something for you! :p

I think you just got served :D

• Gadsen

Posted August 16, 2005 - 07:53 AM

Huh, strange, I have a buddy with an 04 WR450F and another with an 05 450EXC, the EXC got the 13 tooth front sprocket, the WR450 was uncorked (free mods) and the insert removed is all and the WR pulled or "crawled" away from the KTM. The WR rider was about 30 lbs heavier too. Now top speed, I'm sure the KTM was a little faster, but there wasnt enough room to get to that point. Maybe have your buddy find out what is wrong with his WR. I cant imagine a 4 valve motor with 11:1 compression can make more power than a 5 valve motor with 12.5:1 It has to be something else, ie chassis, traction, gearing etc. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • deadcarnahans

Posted August 16, 2005 - 09:09 AM

The "yosh" is an exhaust pipe, and he means that he can slowly pull away from him in a race. :D

Never heard the word before and it's not in the dictionary.
Thanks...

• banffboy

Posted August 16, 2005 - 09:19 AM

Never heard the word before and it's not in the dictionary.
Thanks...

short for Yoshimura

• drzjay400e

Posted August 16, 2005 - 05:10 PM

Ouch, I hate getting served :D :D . Well the truth of the matter is he has been working on many mods for many weeks. If truth be known and the WR is really the fast chick them it must be the rider :eek: :D

• Matty05

Posted August 16, 2005 - 06:24 PM

I cant imagine a 4 valve motor with 11:1 compression can make more power than a 5 valve motor with 12.5:1 It has to be something else, ie chassis, traction, gearing etc. :D

Less compression makes the engine rev harder and longer.
compression is not the only thing to make power, but it does help.

• Gadsen

Posted August 16, 2005 - 07:10 PM

Less compression makes the engine rev harder and longer.
compression is not the only thing to make power, but it does help.

Huh :D You mean "harder to rev" and "longer to rev up", right. :D :D

• Matty05

Posted August 16, 2005 - 09:50 PM

Huh :D You mean "harder to rev" and "longer to rev up", right. :D :D

No. There is so many variables here, like bore, stroke, valve timing etc.....

• chipwich

Posted August 17, 2005 - 04:54 PM

I ride with a bunch of 400, 450, and 520 EXC owners. We have done acceleration testing extensively on the pavement, in 4th and 5th gear roll-ons from 50 mph. My '04 WR450 with free mods and PMB insert will smoke the 400, pull the 450 by 1 to 2 bike lengths up to about 90 mph, but not beat the 520. Stays within about a half to a full a bike length up to around 90 which is the hard deck we set. I have done this so many times being as empirical possible, that it is not even open to discussion, IMHO. I must admit if there is a EXC520 loosing to a WR450, it is not the bike. Sr. 520 es muey macho.

FYI, raced an '05 WR450 with the free mods, and will beat him in 5th gear roll on by 1 bike length, but all even if down-shift to 4th. Shows that the 04 and 05 are equal on the top, but 04 pulls better down low, which is pretty much what is advertised.

• wrkaholic

Posted August 18, 2005 - 01:36 PM

My '04 WR450 with free mods and PMB insert will smoke the 400, pull the 450 by 1 to 2 bike lengths up to about 90 mph, but not beat the 520

IMHO, get rid of the PMB insert, run a better pipe, YZ time, rejet and you will beat the 520. I pull on them with my 426. The 520 has nothing on the Yami. :D

• drzjay400e

Posted August 28, 2005 - 04:06 PM

It must be other varibles because I can pull away from the wr and stay ahead topping out at 98mph.

• Chas_M

Posted August 28, 2005 - 06:19 PM

On different bikes with fairly similar power, rider weight has a significant effect on acceleration. Final gearing, as well as rider weight, has a large influence on top end and top speed as well.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.