coolant leak

5 replies to this topic
  • skwerlee

Posted August 14, 2005 - 12:55 PM

my 2000 YZ426F will start to leak a little coolant out of the overflow tube within 5 minutes of being started. From what i've read this is fairly normal for this bike. I just wanted to ask you guys if there's anything i can try, or should i just make sure the coolant stays at the proper levels.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted August 14, 2005 - 04:28 PM

There is no problem with your coolant level. If oyu let the YZF sit and idle for any time longer than about three minutes, coolant will always boil out. The fix is to just blip the throttle a few times to keep the engine percolating. No airflow will also make the head pipe glow red in minutes if your not careful.

This subject has been discussed at great length already.

• MisterMan

Posted August 14, 2005 - 07:50 PM

turkey baster mod/ catch bottle, I did it and I'll never look back!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skwerlee

Posted August 15, 2005 - 06:14 AM

thanks for the help guys. i'm going to looke into the wr overflow bottle

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted August 15, 2005 - 08:57 AM

to help things run cooler try header wrap around the header in the area of the radiator, also put some reflective tape under the radiator that is over the header. i did this and really helps things run cooler

Header wrap does make it run cooler, but at the expense of cathcing every piece of dirt that comes its way.

• jpivey

Posted August 15, 2005 - 12:15 PM

First thing I would do is check the cap itself and make sure it's holding pressure or just go with a new 1.2 - 1.7 cap

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.