450 gearbox flaw

3 replies to this topic
  • Robert_Brazil

Posted August 13, 2005 - 03:20 PM

I just serviced my 2004 450 and cam to the conclusion that the 4th gear (primary shaft) was worn out, verifying the gearbox of two other friends with the same bike, I cam to the conclusion that theirs is also the same or worse! I compared it to the 426 gearbox, which is a lot robuster designed. Why? What is happening. I am not reading anything on this forum about gearbox problems, but it seems (3 cases) that the gearbox (esp 4th) is wearing out premature, can anyone with similar experiences confirm this?

• Gadsen

Posted August 13, 2005 - 03:51 PM

Hey, you guys want them lighter, they have to trim it from somewhere! :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gregwr450f

Posted August 14, 2005 - 01:32 AM

How many miles have you done?

• Dodjy

Posted August 14, 2005 - 06:27 PM

Any more details like where, on the shaft, are they wearing, pictures etc? Do you guys only ride in the dirt or on the road as well? How many miles on the bikes? Do you change the oil and filter regularly?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.