Strong enough?

7 replies to this topic
  • Ramcc4x4

Posted August 13, 2005 - 03:13 PM

I bought Pro Taper big bars and the adapter clamp instead of a completely new triple clamp setup. Will this setup be strong enough for trail riding and 1-2 desert trips per year or is it a problem waiting to happen?

BTW, I should have bought bars when I took my bike off the showroom floor. What a difference they make!!!!!

• big t

Posted August 13, 2005 - 03:22 PM

I have been using the universal adapters w/ Pro Tapers on my bikes for a few years now and never had any problems. Bars do make a big difference. :D

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 13, 2005 - 06:35 PM

protaper fattys em to death.

• 4Takt

Posted August 14, 2005 - 06:15 AM

In what way are these better than stock bars?

I'm kinda ignorant here, I have stock bars on my bike and really don't have any complaints. Is this one of those things that become obvious after you switch?

I'm intimidated by the huge amount of different bars/bends available, I wouldn't know what to look for.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted August 14, 2005 - 11:29 AM

well, it is a phenoninon you would have to experiance yourself to understand. im pretty sure i got the same exact set up as u ramcc4x4. i dumped the xr goin like 30 and it didnt even bend them a bit......busted the bark buster tho.

• BWB63

Posted August 14, 2005 - 01:26 PM

I have had several Pro-Tapers I have only bent on pair on a bad jump turned back flip. Bike landed upside down on the bars. Not bent hardly at all. I use the Renthal Fatty Bars right now. Ricky Carmichel bend. I do have a billet Scott's triple clamp.

• Roll_it_on

Posted August 15, 2005 - 03:12 PM

I used the bar adapters with pro taper bars for a long time with no problems. I did however replace the top clamp with an aftermarket one since It moved the bar forward about an inch which made a huge difference for me in the comfort and control department. I'm 6' 1" and the bike felt to cramped for me but now it feels perfect with the CR high bend forward of the stock position.

• Supplicate

Posted August 15, 2005 - 03:57 PM

I'm kinda ignorant here, I have stock bars on my bike and really don't have any complaints. Is this one of those things that become obvious after you switch?

You would not believe the difference bars make, until you change them. And then, you can start fiddling with all the different widths/hieghts/bends and position in the clamps. You can really change the feel of the bike simply by changing out the bars. I rode my stock bars for about a week IIRC waiting for the dealership to get in a bend that I liked.

Not to mention you can make it less prone to bar bending when crashing if you go with a twin wall or fatty.

Can't wait to get my Pro Taper fatty's with new billet clamps and scotts mount :D

Related Content

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.