Stripped Shroud/tank bolts

5 replies to this topic
  • Yamahan

Posted August 12, 2005 - 08:03 PM

In undoing the tank shroud bolts (I normally remove the tank with shrouds in place) I found no less than 3 bolts turning without comming loose. Either stripped or the inserts within the tank are turning with the bolts. This would be the second time I remove the shrouds. Firts time was no problem. Bike only 3 mths old.

Any advise please?

• extex

Posted August 13, 2005 - 05:12 AM

I've got one shroud bolt that I have rounded off the edges and can't get to turn at all. I am interested in hearing how others have gotten them out in that situation. I haven't had the problem of them turning freely.

• 99wr400

Posted August 13, 2005 - 11:29 AM

cut off the radiator shroud (shrouds are much cheaper than a new tank) and then take the gas tank off the bike, drain it of fuel, clean the area around the brass gas tank inserts which are spinning, let it dry, and then put epoxy around the brass insert, between the insert and the gas tank. Let the epoxy cure, and then spray some WD40 on the bolt that goes into the brass insert, let it soak in for a few minutes, and then try unscrewing the bolt. If this doesnt work, then you can rip the insert from the gas tank, which will most likely end up putting a hole in the tank, then you can use a vise to hold the brass insert, and use a wrench to remove the bolt from it, and then use epoxy to hold the brass insert into the tank/ seal the hole in the gas tank. Next time, use some anti-seize on the bolts before you put them in.

• 99wr400

Posted August 13, 2005 - 11:32 AM

I've got one shroud bolt that I have rounded off the edges and can't get to turn at all. I am interested in hearing how others have gotten them out in that situation. I haven't had the problem of them turning freely.

File the edges of the bolt flat, and then use vise grips to turn it to take it out. If you cant get a file in there to flatten the rounded edges of the bolt, you will need to cut off the radiator shroud to get to the bolt.

• bg10459

Posted August 13, 2005 - 03:19 PM

If cutting the shroud is your option of choice, try to do it with a razor knife. Make a clean cut towards the closest edge. You should be able to get the shroud off and then re-use it. It won't be perfect, but it'll work. I've done this before.

• hwyman

Posted August 14, 2005 - 11:03 AM

Wow!! What a great solution. Same thing happened to me. Where is the best place to get new shrouds? I went to Acerbis online and couldn't find them for the 05 wr450.
Thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.