2005 YZ 450F Forks and shock

13 replies to this topic
  • yamrider22

Posted August 12, 2005 - 06:13 PM

Anyone out there know where I can get a set of OEM forks and shock off of a 2005 450? I have been looking on Ebay and some of the other usual sites but have had no luck. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted August 12, 2005 - 06:18 PM

Huh, you can go through the OEM at your local Yamaha dealer.

Are you serious? It will cost you THOUSANDS of dollars. Why do you need it? Bad crash?

• yamrider22

Posted August 12, 2005 - 06:23 PM

Huh, you can go through the OEM at your local Yamaha dealer.

Are you serious? It will cost you THOUSANDS of dollars. Why do you need it? Bad crash?

No that is not cost effective. I have a sweet '03 and I want to upgrade the forks. The shock would be nice as well but not as important as the forks.

• yamrider22

Posted August 14, 2005 - 08:16 PM

Anyone out there selling their '05 want to trade for some nice revalved '03 stuff and some cash of course?

• Chris Hyde

Posted August 15, 2005 - 05:48 AM

You'll need the clamps as well since the 04+ 450F forks are 48mm.

• yamrider22

Posted August 15, 2005 - 05:41 PM

You'll need the clamps as well since the 04+ 450F forks are 48mm.

Yeah I've got some 48mm RG3's that are 23mm offset.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 16, 2005 - 05:35 AM

Anyone out there selling their '05 want to trade for some nice revalved '03 stuff and some cash of course?

You are better off sending your 03 shock and forks to ENZO for a complete rebuild/spring/valving/ subtank treatment........that is one amazing suspension

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamrider22

Posted August 16, 2005 - 05:40 AM

You are better off sending your 03 shock and forks to ENZO for a complete rebuild/spring/valving/ subtank treatment........that is one amazing suspension

I actually talked to Ross about that already. He said that it would not be as good as just re-valving the '05 stuff. According to him the '05 is much superior to the '03 stuff in stock form.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 16, 2005 - 11:41 AM

I actually talked to Ross about that already. He said that it would not be as good as just re-valving the '05 stuff. According to him the '05 is much superior to the '03 stuff in stock form.

that is hard to swallow........it works so good!
Anyway do like me and buy a 06......the forks and shock will cost 1/3 of a whole new bike :D

• sjwr450

Posted August 16, 2005 - 04:15 PM

My 05 450 is waaaay better then my other bikes. I like it better then my Honda (Enzo also).

• yamrider22

Posted August 16, 2005 - 06:00 PM

that is hard to swallow........it works so good!
Anyway do like me and buy a 06......the forks and shock will cost 1/3 of a whole new bike :D

It's looking like I may have to do just that unless I can come across some '05 stuff on Ebay. I would never order new stuff form Yamaha-that is not very cost effective.

• Matt96xr6

Posted August 17, 2005 - 07:05 AM

You also need to check the technical seminar update books for the 05 models at your local dealer.

Forks are an easy swap with the clamps.

Shock may not be that easy. 05 uses a different setup than the 04-03 stuff in the linkage and swingarm. Thus the shock length maybe a bit different. Yamaha has changed the shock length in the past and also sizes of bolts. the only place it is listed is the Technical Seminar update books.

• Ray450

Posted August 17, 2005 - 08:32 AM

I had a 03 450, then a 04 250 and just got a 05 450, all YZs. I wanted to wait on the 06 450, but I was ready for a new bike and found a great deal on a new 05. Anyway, I was a little disappointed in the forks. Not a huge improvement to me. They just feel a little softer to me, really not even a lot plusher. They do seem to settle in turns better than my 03. After reading all the posts on here, I was expecting a vastly different bike then my 03. Feels pretty much the same to me, which isn't a bad thing. To read these posts you would think the motors are completely different. I've only ridden it twice, so it's a little early yet. The 05 seems to chug down better without flamming out (I assume from slightly less compression and a little heavier flywheel), after that it seems like the same motor to me. I would revalve your 03 forks. I can't imagine spending the money to replace the forks, revalve them, and expect them to be a lot better than revalved 03 forks. The only reason I'd buy another set of forks and a shock, would be to have a set for off-road and a set for M/X. I do both, and could see an advantage for that.

• yamrider22

Posted August 17, 2005 - 01:32 PM

I had a 03 450, then a 04 250 and just got a 05 450, all YZs. I wanted to wait on the 06 450, but I was ready for a new bike and found a great deal on a new 05. Anyway, I was a little disappointed in the forks. Not a huge improvement to me. They just feel a little softer to me, really not even a lot plusher. They do seem to settle in turns better than my 03. After reading all the posts on here, I was expecting a vastly different bike then my 03. Feels pretty much the same to me, which isn't a bad thing. To read these posts you would think the motors are completely different. I've only ridden it twice, so it's a little early yet. The 05 seems to chug down better without flamming out (I assume from slightly less compression and a little heavier flywheel), after that it seems like the same motor to me. I would revalve your 03 forks. I can't imagine spending the money to replace the forks, revalve them, and expect them to be a lot better than revalved 03 forks. The only reason I'd buy another set of forks and a shock, would be to have a set for off-road and a set for M/X. I do both, and could see an advantage for that.

I can only compare them to my '05 YZ 250 two-smoker forks re-valved by Enzo. They are just awesome - way better than my re-valved '03's. I understand that the forks react differently on a two-smoker (weight, inertia, motor characteristics). But they are just plain awesome and they are the same forks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.