I brought this up for those that are looking for more and give
something to look into. It's nohing new. It's even in the service
book you get with the BRP. Honda Race team makes this a major
"Keep the rear wheel adjusted as far forward as tire clearance
allows. The bike turns and handles better and is more stable with
the wheel adjusted closer to the swingarm pivot."

• 4Takt

Posted August 12, 2005 - 03:21 PM

I've heard that before, but wouldn't you have to take a link out of the stock chain to do that with stock gearing?

• Mark_Bear

Posted August 12, 2005 - 03:46 PM

I'm running a 15/46 with a 110 link chain and it's about half way along the adjuster. I reckon a 49 would put it right near the front of the adjustment.

• roadcam

Posted August 13, 2005 - 08:13 AM

BWB .. did you notice any effect on high-speed straight stability with the wheelbase shortened up ?

• BWB63

Posted August 13, 2005 - 04:41 PM

BWB .. did you notice any effect on high-speed straight stability with the wheelbase shortened up ?

I can't get what is what on that because once I went 680cc the front tire is a lot harder to keep on the ground. I think it's less "high-speed straight stability" in terms of the bike not wanting to stay where you point it but, not more head shake. The bike will respond to turning way faster with less effort but, not twitchy like a KTM525. I have noticed I have to ride the bike more (more input from me) then just point and shoot but, if that is caused by more power also :D or both :D It seems the most noticable change is in the mid RPM torque range through the whoops. Before 680cc I just went wishing for more power to straighten out the bike when things went wrong but, now there is more power with the front tire floating more and the wheel base shorter making it turn easier.....requiring more input from me. The bike is more MX in turning but still not as much as the KTM or CR's

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • frankstr

Posted August 14, 2005 - 05:58 PM

BWB60, Well i have 14/50 and 112 links and i tried to see if i could remove 2 links and it does not look like it will work, Did you remove the nuts on the rear adjusters for the axle blocks..... :D
I haven't cut the chain till I'm sure it'll work, looks like about a 1/8 of an inch from working, But then I probly won't have enough chain slack....
You stated your gearing was 15/49 and I'm thinkin thats the same space, link wise as 14/50........

• BWB63

Posted August 14, 2005 - 06:59 PM

No, I still have my nuts last time I looked :D :D

I have the nuts on and the adjuster all the way in. New chain and sprockets. 15/49. Rethal Counter shaft and Ironman rear. The chain is able to touch the rubber at the back of the chain slider. Thats were I run it loose enough to jump. I do know that one tooth on the counter shaft sprocket dose not move the cain the same as one tooth on the rear sprocket. So, 14/50 won't be the same as 15/49. How much difference I don't know but, it has to do with the size ratio difference. One tooth of the counter shaft spocket doesn't make the sprocket bigger as one tooth on the rear sprocket. You have added two teeth more to the rear sprocket over stock. I added on to the rear and one to the counter shaft.

• frankstr

Posted August 15, 2005 - 05:15 AM

Well, I'm glad you still have your nuts... :D
Thanks for info........ :D

• LotsOfBikes

Posted August 15, 2005 - 05:29 AM

:D Great Post :D

• Mark_Bear

Posted August 21, 2005 - 03:23 PM

There is a gearing calculator which also gives the required length of chain here:

It appears to be set up for the XR650R and is accurate for all that i've been able to test.

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.