cam timing question

5 replies to this topic
  • rigamortis rex

Posted August 12, 2005 - 10:39 AM

I am putting together a 98 wr 400, and I am having troubles determining which mark on the cam sprockets are the ones that you need to line up with the top of the head. any help would be apprciated.

• rigamortis rex

Posted August 12, 2005 - 10:54 AM

there is some type of hyrogliff on the back side of cam sprocket that you will need to decifer, I believe it is a dog, a sun, the moon, a blender, and some playing cards.

god speed young lad!

• MattyH

Posted August 15, 2005 - 03:34 AM

the service manual should provide the key to unlock the mysteries of the dog, sun, moon and blender. or just walk into your local yamaha dealers showroom and do a cam installation dance which is rather like a rain dance but can ultimately be life threatening if you and your spectators arent wearing helmets at the time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jchantzWR400F

Posted August 15, 2005 - 07:10 AM

I'll take a shot here. At TDC the cam lobes (exhaust and intake) should face away from one another. When looking at the timing marks on the sprockets, the 3:00 and 9:00 marks (on each sprocket) should be parrallel (or close-mine never were exact) with the head.

• HamBonE_23

Posted August 17, 2005 - 05:07 PM

This is a pic from my garage. This is what mine looked like before i advanced it to the YZ timing.
Mine is an 01 WR 426 though...

• TeamScream

Posted August 27, 2005 - 09:51 PM

Also on Motoman393's page I think there is a good write up about it.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.