towing trailer with Xl600r ?

5 replies to this topic
  • Jaxon

Posted August 12, 2005 - 08:44 AM

Hello fellow thumpers, I have recently bought a Coleman caboose trailer in hopes of hitching it to my bike. Its weight is 158 lbs and is very tongue light.
I was wondering if this has been done before with a dualsport. And if so if there is info on fabing a hitch setup for the bike. Any help would be great.
Thanks

• Eric Henion

Posted August 12, 2005 - 03:47 PM

What are you crazy? Motorcycles were never designed to pull a trailer! It really bothers me when I see a motorcycle towing a trailer. If you want to have all that luggage then buy a motorhome.

• Max Power

Posted August 12, 2005 - 08:08 PM

What are you crazy? Motorcycles were never designed to pull a trailer! It really bothers me when I see a motorcycle towing a trailer. If you want to have all that luggage then buy a motorhome.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oldturtle

Posted August 13, 2005 - 09:52 AM

What are you crazy? Motorcycles were never designed to pull a trailer!

Regarding road bikes like a Goldwing towing a trailer, then you have missed the point. Towing a properly loaded trailer behind a properly loaded bike is a much safer alternate to packing all this stuff on the bike along with an overweight old lady. Regarding towing very small trailer behind a 600 dirt bike, the argument is the same. No reason why this could not be a good way to get your stuff to where it needs to be. You would just be limited on the type of dirt roads this would be suitable for.
I have never heard of anyone building a suitable hitch for a dirt bike so you would be on your own. All the load needs to be transfered directly into the bikes frame with no connection to swing arm. Also any load to subframe must not be excessive or else subframe needs to be reinforced. Hitch should also be designed with removable rear section so that rear wheel can be pulled straight out the back for tire repair on the trail. This sounds like a very interesting project. You sure could get a lot more cold beer to your favorite out of the way camp site. If you wanted to do very much of this type hauling/towing then you might be better off to look at something along lines of a Honda Foreman 4WD utility quad with trailer hitch. Those guys do this all the time.

• Jaxon

Posted August 14, 2005 - 09:01 AM

Thank you for the good advice. Most trips would be on semi clean roads, mostly asphalt. I will update as project goes on. Thanks again

• Zeniac

Posted August 14, 2005 - 11:06 AM

As insane as this may sound, I thought of trying to put a hitch on a XR650L to tow a small trailer with my grandsons minibike on it out to riding areas about 5 miles from my house. My other vehicle is a Honda S2000 which dosen't have many viable options for a trailer hitch and I wanted to design something that could be easily taken off once getting to the riding site.

The problem I ran into was building a subframe assembly strong enough and also easy to remove with a quick disconnect setup. The cost quickly got out of hand and no one I spoke to would guarantee results.

MY wife hates both my motorcycles and roadster and I didn't want to have to breakdown and ask to borrow HER truck, but I have humbled myself for now until I get a hitch on the S2000. (She never lets me forget just how "useless my toys are")

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.