426 top end noisier after fitting 450 cam?

5 replies to this topic
  • Chris_from_Oz

Posted August 12, 2005 - 03:12 AM

In replying to a post in the YZF forum, I recalled my WR426 being (seeming maybe???) noisier in the valvetrain after fitting the YZ450F exhaust cam. It is shimmed spot on, and runs flawlessly, so it didn't concern me too much at the time, and has been perfect since. Anyone else notice this, or did I imagine it, as the bike was not ridden or started in around two months immediately before fitting the 450 cam? I could easily have 'forgotten' what it originally sounded like, I guess??? Anyone? Cheers, Chris :D

• byggd

Posted August 12, 2005 - 10:30 AM

I did this upgrade to my 02 wr426 and didn't notice any noise change :D

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted August 12, 2005 - 06:11 PM

I did this upgrade to my 02 wr426 and didn't notice any noise change :D

It's OK, i've been thinking back, and i'm almost sure I fitted my bashplate at the same time I fitted the 450 cam..... :eek: :eek: :eek:
*ECHO! ECHO! ECHO!* :D :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FZ1426

Posted August 12, 2005 - 07:40 PM

I noticed it when I went to the Hotcams cam. I think it's because the lobe is about half as thick as the stock cam. A thicker lobe would tend to dampen the noise between the lobe and bucket more. Also the 450 (or Hotcam) is higher lift and less duration which is more of a "hit" on the bucket as opposed to a smoother rolling action. Dig?
Come to think of it, it might even be the decomp mechanism resonating somewhat... :D

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted August 12, 2005 - 07:55 PM

I noticed it when I went to the Hotcams cam. I think it's because the lobe is about half as thick as the stock cam. A thicker lobe would tend to dampen the noise between the lobe and bucket more. Also the 450 (or Hotcam) is higher lift and less duration which is more of a "hit" on the bucket as opposed to a smoother rolling action. Dig?
Come to think of it, it might even be the decomp mechanism resonating somewhat... :D

OK, maybe it's not engine noise echoing because of the bashplate? Maybe i'm not imagining things? :D Cheers. :D

• Hamish

Posted August 13, 2005 - 02:13 AM

the cure to engine noise is a louder exhaust system :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.