Help with 00 YZ426

4 replies to this topic
  • calvin71

Posted August 11, 2005 - 10:28 PM

I just recently purchased my first dirt bike (used) and this model came highly recommended. I have a few concerns that I'm hoping to get some feedback on.

1. Upon my first oil change I discovered some metal flakes in the oil filter and metal shavings in the oil. Has anyone experienced this and if so, should I be concerned? I have a friend with the same bike and he insists that this is normal but I'd like to get a second opinion.

2. My first ride out I found that my clutch is in need of replacement. While I was out on the trails some experienced riders set my idle a bit higher to compensate. I stalled quite a bit and then my bike began to overheat. I'm told this is due to an air flow issue with the higher idle setting. I haven't changed the plug or the air filter so I'm wondering if this may be a factor.

Any suggestions for me here?

• biznet1

Posted August 12, 2005 - 02:09 AM

The 00 426 is a great bike, but has a couple of issues to consider. First of all, it will overheat if you are not moving pretty good. Metal flakes are normal if it's not excessive (can you put the quantity into perspective?). This bike has a known clutch problem, but easy and not too expensive to fix (http://www.thumperta...53&parentpage=3 < $200) Buy the parts from www.mrcycles.com because they are the cheapest I know. It also has a problem with a pin in the counter balance that could shear off. I haven't done that mod. Other than that, it's a very reliable bike. BTW, the header will glow when not moving. (just so you don't get beat up for posting that one)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ONLY4STROKES

Posted August 12, 2005 - 12:48 PM

1. Upon my first oil change I discovered some metal flakes in the oil filter and metal shavings in the oil. Has anyone experienced this and if so, should I be concerned? I have a friend with the same bike and he insists that this is normal but I'd like to get a second opinion.

This is normal, on a brand new bike. Not on one that is five years old, and should have already had MANY oil changes. Can you put the amount of metal flakes into perspective? How about a pic? If there is alot your going to have to tear down your motor to inspect.

2. My first ride out I found that my clutch is in need of replacement. While I was out on the trails some experienced riders set my idle a bit higher to compensate. I stalled quite a bit and then my bike began to overheat.

This is common on that model. Here's the fix.
http://www.thumperta...53&parentpage=3

• calvin71

Posted August 12, 2005 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for the info, well on the flakes, it was clear that the oil hasn't been changed in a while. the oil filter was gummy with fakes in the grooves, then found a few pieces of metal i the oil pan, i guess I'll have to wait until the next change. is there any mods i need to consider? like the decom can Ive heard about? and on the clutch thing i;m pretty sure i want to get the z-start clutch. My worries are that there might be something wrong inside the motor, but friends says it run s very strong.So question is that do i have to have the motor gone through. I do really appreciate your help.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted August 12, 2005 - 01:09 PM

is there any mods i need to consider? like the decomp. cam Ive heard about? and on the clutch thing i;m pretty sure i want to get the z-start clutch. My worries are that there might be something wrong inside the motor, but friends says it run s very strong.So question is that do i have to have the motor gone through. I do really appreciate your help.

Yes! Do the '03 Decompression cam mod! Makes for MUCH easier starting.
http://m.bobbitt.hom...caminstall.html

Good reading on the Rekluse Z-Start Clutch:
http://www.thumperta...ghlight=Rekluse

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.