06 YZ 5 speed Oh Baby!

13 replies to this topic
  • tp3dxf

Posted August 11, 2005 - 09:49 PM

I am so glad the 06 YZ is getting a 5 speed tranny!! It's also getting the aluminum frame. I think this bike will be a great MX ride but it may be a great off road racer as well.

Look out Honda!!

• djo269

Posted August 11, 2005 - 10:10 PM

I like the 4-speed myself since I ride mostly mx tracks and open areas but some woods too. I wonder if the aluminum frame will be more prone to damage than the steel frames. But the yellow bikes will be kick ass to see on the tracks no doubt! :D

• tp3dxf

Posted August 11, 2005 - 10:19 PM

Here in Cal with our open dez stuff a 4 speed isn't the best set up. Not to say we don't get into some really slow gnarly stuff. We just have less mud and trees in the dez. On the track side of things I still think it will be better.

I think the new 5 speed alone will sell more bikes. I think the new YZ will set the standard.

• WR250G

Posted August 12, 2005 - 05:43 AM

5spd, alu frame and the anniversary yellow look is nice! Looks to be a great ride.

• MXKyle

Posted August 12, 2005 - 07:03 AM

I couldn't wait to get a new '06 450. Now I'm not so sure and I'm eyeballing the RM.

When it came to be that Yamaha was not able to save one LB over the '05 I was like, 'what?'. :D Most people thought that must be a misprint on Yammie's website. Nope, same weight as last year. That's the same weight even with the addition of the Ti shock spring. So the new bike, motor and frame, is actually almost three pounds heavier than last years model and to save face Yamaha went with the expensive shock spring.

I didn't mind the steel frame and by now I've ridden all the '05 bikes and like the RM best. Until I see some tests showing me that all these heavy changes to the YZ make the bike better than the competition I'm not going to order one. I am keeping my blue 125 though.

Posted August 12, 2005 - 07:13 AM

I'm w/you on the weight. I was a lifetime YZ guy until I rode a CRF a couple years ago. I was really amp'd to get the new YZF, but the weight issue coupled with late availability and the numerous problems at the national level have me second guessing myself.
I've ridden the '05 RMZ and '06 CRF, both are excellent!
I can't believe Yamaha didn't have these bikes available by August/September. I really hope they didn't miss the boat!

• midwestmotocross

Posted August 12, 2005 - 07:43 AM

I'm still not sure the weight thing isn't wrong. The 250F has the same engine, but an aluminum frame, Ti spring, lighter handlebars together should add up to some kind of weight loss. Unless the al. frame is just a big honking pig of a frame.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • aedwards07

Posted August 12, 2005 - 07:47 AM

On the weight issue I didnt think Yamaha updated the "SPECS" part yet for the 06 models.It doesnt make sense really.Usually a Ti shockspring saves around 3 pounds and the aluminum frame should also save a few pounds.There is no reason for yamaha to make a heiver bike.My guess is that its still a misprint.

Maybe Yamaha decided to post the ACTUAL weight of the bike with some fluids in it.That is another option.

Reguardless of how much it weights it will be carried lower in the frame for a better center of gravity.

• Jetsprint2

Posted August 12, 2005 - 08:13 AM

I'm still not sure the weight thing isn't wrong. The 250F has the same engine, but an aluminum frame, Ti spring, lighter handlebars together should add up to some kind of weight loss. Unless the al. frame is just a big honking pig of a frame.

The new frame is solid aluminum forged and casted not hollow. The old frame was hollow tube chrome molly "steel". The new frame will be heavier than the old one, I do not know this for sure but I would put money on it.

• Dolce_Grappa

Posted August 12, 2005 - 08:20 AM

IMO, they should of shaved more weight by removing first gear and giving us a three speed for MX. If one wanted more gears for trails and etc., what's wrong with WR.

• jeff_wsu

Posted August 12, 2005 - 08:23 AM

Yamaha has the engine department down as far as reliability, that's for sure, but with this being the first year of their aluminum frame they might have some bugs to work out of it in 07'. I can't wait to see how it plays out though. But I am also amazed the there aren't larger weight savings with all they've done to it. Almost dissapointing, but if the bike rips screw the weight issue :D

Honda has the throne right now as far as the shootouts go, but with both Yamaha makeover and the Kawasaki 450 coming into play this it going to be an interesting year. Overall, any bike you buy these days are excellent and you can't go wrong with any brand.

• Troutman

Posted August 12, 2005 - 08:59 AM

We have some experiance with the aliminum frame on the 05 yz 250. I know its not the same as having the 450 engine in it but it did great for the 2 stroke and I am sure it will be great for the 450. There is a thread somewhere where they said that yamaha stated that the 06 frame is one pound lighter than the steel 05 and the additional 5th gear and other misc. small weight gains keeps the bike aroung the same weight. But as always that is just people talking. But I realy agree with Jeff wsu's last comment, pick your favorite color and you will be just fine!! Ride ON!!! :D

• mikedabike

Posted August 12, 2005 - 09:40 AM

The new frame is not solid. It is just like the 05 two strokes excepts the spars have the cutouts on the inside instead of the outside.

• Chills

Posted August 12, 2005 - 10:09 AM

Ok guys...

In the reviews and the spec adds, they had clearly defined the weight increase and decrease.

1- The frame is the same as the 250, but the "CAN" look has been inverted to the inside.

2- While the Ti rear shock has deceased the amount of weight, it is made up in other places, see below...

3- The Alum frame has also saved weight, But.... See below

4- Yam/Kayaba has completely redesigned their from suspension/shocks, thus created a heavier shock overall= Increased Weight

5- Yam has also switched back over to the 5 speed tranny, which in turn amounts to increased weight...

Yamaha claims that the overall improvement that it has made, has balanced the bike out to weigh the same as the 04/05.

To sum it up, at the cost of a lighter spring, and alum frame, you get new design heavier shocks and 5 speeds...

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.