Naughty BRP

12 replies to this topic
  • Mark_Bear

Posted August 11, 2005 - 07:01 PM

I thought I'd go for a bit of a trail bash to test my new lower gearing. Put on all the gear to make me invincible and after puffing myself out getting it started, off we went. Now I should add that we have had a very wet and cold few weeks here in Aus, in fact it's recently snowed in places where it shouldn't.

I found this beaut track a couple of miles from my home which I've never bothered taking the Blackbird down and figured it would be good fun on the XR. I was a bit hesitant as it looked a bit muddy but ol' dooger was itching to get dirty so I really had no choice. It started of good, big power wheelies and mud being tossed out the rear across the other side of town, what a rush....

It leads to the top of rather unassuming hill which disappears into rather deep valley and running creek. Carefully does it now holding front and rear brake and inching my way down when BRP decides that she'd rather do an about face and do it backwards. By this time I was a passenger and, although still in gear chugging away to get traction on the now, slick knobbly, still sliding backwards down the increasingly steep and now rocky hill. It ended when I bailed out and BRP, unable to stay upright without me fell over, laying across the hill and tank facing down it.

Okay so far, no injuries to bike or me but getting it upright and started, even using the remembered starting guide on here, is another story in itself. remember this is a VERY steep hill. Eventually got it to the bottom, now with the option of a bottomless running creek (Should that be river?) or an interesting thorn bush bank with a goat track. I took the goat track only to end up bogged to the axles in quicksand like mud. (It looked okay!!!).

Got a moblie phone but not sure I want to call anyone I know..ha ha, anyway none of them have a chopper with a winch on it. I was thinking at the time it's probably the only way this BRP is going home from here. Longer story, but eventually laid it down and after some two hours got it out. Totally buggered by this stage and with various bits of my protective gear left at strategic parts of the bank. Still faced with the now impassable bank, a steep hill without enough grip to come down let alone get back up and a bottomless creek. I chastised her for being so stupid but she couldn't have cared less and decided that swimming was the go. Amazing, this part of the creek had a bottom, but it was up to the seat by the time we found it and BRP never missed a beat, simply leaving the other side with a huge wheelie and a very relieved owner.

Home now, grinning...and buggered but I figured someone might get a laugh out of it.

• CAM2R

Posted August 11, 2005 - 07:23 PM

Glad you made it out without the helicopter :D

a cold beer tastes better after an adventure like that!

• captb

Posted August 11, 2005 - 10:18 PM

I ended up in a similar situation 15 miles in the desert, a uncontrolled descent down a rocky canyon wall and no easy way out, bowling ball sized boulders and large bushes for a 1/2 mile every where, (damnation alley) no way back up the canyon walls, it was the longest trials ride I've ever done, I was beat after that. It sure is nice when you see civilization again.

• frankstr

Posted August 12, 2005 - 05:23 AM

At least she didn't break down, Great XR reliability......... :D

• bork

Posted August 12, 2005 - 05:30 AM

:D :D :D

• jkwithers

Posted August 13, 2005 - 06:12 AM

&%$#@! Your Problem Is That You Aussies Have The Handle Bars On The Wrong Side Of The Bike

Gday Mate

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jkwithers

Posted August 13, 2005 - 06:13 AM

Where In Aus R U I Stayed In Nsw Woy Woy For A While

• jkwithers

• jkwithers

• jkwithers

:D Where In Aus R U I Stayed In Nsw Woy Woy For A While

• roadcam

Posted August 13, 2005 - 08:08 AM

one more time :D

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 13, 2005 - 12:18 PM

thats where nos would come in handy :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

• Mark_Bear

Posted August 13, 2005 - 01:57 PM

I live in the Adelaide Hills, which is in South Australia.

There is a mixture of twisty sealead and un-sealed roads with undulating terrain around Adelaide and several hundred miles to the north is the Flinders Ranges and further still, desert. All good riding stuff if you know where to go.

Just not when it rains..... :D

Related Content

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.