Throttle Problem

12 replies to this topic
  • jkwithers

Posted August 11, 2005 - 04:10 PM

My Throttle Sticks In The Open Position On My Xr 650r How Can I Remedy This Problem ? Cable Lube? If So How Thanks For Your Advice. iT MOVES SMOOTHLY BUT WILL NOT CLOSE ON ITS OWN. KINDA LIKE A CRUISE CONTROL BUT DANGEROUS I SUSPECT. :D

• thumpasaurus

Posted August 11, 2005 - 05:06 PM

-take it apart and clean the crud out of the housing where the little wheel is, and put a dab of grease in there if it's dry.
-If you have cut the end of your throttle sleeve for barkbusters, sometimes crap will get between the plastic sleeve and the bar and cause it to bind.
-If still no good, replace the cable(s).

(before tossing your cables, check the routing to make sure it's not pinched. xr650r.us has a cable routing picture )

• khelton

Posted August 11, 2005 - 06:11 PM

Roger cleaning the crud out...also, some of the wheel assemblies have burrs on the wheels and/or the housing which makes the throttle slightly stick at points...run your finger over he top of the wheel and feel for rough spots, also inside the hosuing. Emery paper any rough spots.

• roadcam

Posted August 11, 2005 - 06:19 PM

when changing to new grips, I noticed mine hung up too ... it was the grip pushed onto the bar too far ... pull the throttle grip about 1/8" outwards ... freed mine right up ..(if that frees it up, you will no doubt need to pull the grip all the way off, and re-glue it)

• Ramcc4x4

Posted August 11, 2005 - 06:34 PM

Did you have the carb apart at all? Did the problem start on it's own? If you just did a power up kit it's possible the carb spring isn't installed properly. I know when I have removed my tank in the past it pinched throttle cables as mentioned above. It could also have a problem in the throttle assembly itself. My stock throttle return cable became frayed and it stuck.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 11, 2005 - 06:35 PM

problems ive had:

-gips rubed on bark busters

-throtle cable was not on the silde track

-cable was in need ove some lubin

-push cable was busted

-push cable was to short (thats why it busted.....came on bike that way)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GIANTac1

Posted August 11, 2005 - 07:37 PM

Mine did the the same about a month ago......glue from adding new grips got between the handle bars and the throttle sleeve.

• jkwithers

Posted August 12, 2005 - 05:35 AM

If I Take The Wheel Off To Do What Was Suggested Above Will It Be A Pain For Me To Replace? And Is The Housing For The Return Cable Under That Circular Cover.

• jkwithers

Posted August 12, 2005 - 04:32 PM

IF GRIP GLUE WAS THE PROBLEM WOULD IT STILL BE SMOOTH ALL THE WAY TO THE FULL OPEN POSITION AND THEN REFUSE TO SHUT? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL THE REPLIES AND ASSISTANCE

-JACK :D

• GIANTac1

Posted August 12, 2005 - 05:35 PM

Just take it apart and investigate.......

• roadcam

Posted August 12, 2005 - 06:43 PM

IF GRIP GLUE WAS THE PROBLEM WOULD IT STILL BE SMOOTH ALL THE WAY TO THE FULL OPEN POSITION AND THEN REFUSE TO SHUT? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL THE REPLIES AND ASSISTANCE

-JACK :D

YES ... thats EXACTLY how mine acted

• jkwithers

Posted August 13, 2005 - 05:58 AM

I TOOK THE THROTTLE HOUSING APART CLEANED AND LUBED. STILL STUCK.
THEN LOOSENED THE PERCH AND ROTATED THE WHOLE THING INWARD. END OF PROBLEM. WHAT GIVES DID I INADVERTANTLY FIX THE PROBLEM BY LENGHTING THE CABLE OR SOMETHING????

• roadcam

Posted August 13, 2005 - 08:01 AM

glad you got it working .. same as mine, finally got it working,.. never was quite sure as to why :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.