Rethinking my choice in the WR; need a bit of advice please

92 replies to this topic
  • kincade

Posted August 26, 2005 - 10:46 AM

Seat cover IS shaved; it's so thin you really can't sit on it anymore (probably 1/4" of foam).

• kincade

Posted August 26, 2005 - 10:46 AM

idahoaggie99; have you ridden a WR450 in comparison to the 250 (in 05).

• 4Stroke4Life

Posted August 26, 2005 - 11:56 AM

What about service hondas crf250x junior.??? go to servicehonda.com check it out

• kincade

Posted August 26, 2005 - 12:57 PM

Couldn't see that model; do you have a direct link?

• 04WR450F

Posted November 26, 2005 - 06:18 PM

Here ya go. Big bucks though! $8,999 to start!

http://www.serviceho...com/junior.html

• oldbones

Posted November 26, 2005 - 07:14 PM

Some good advice here. I would recommend finding someone in your area with a rekluse in their bike. Any bike. Give it a spin, I am positive you will like it. You CAN'T stall the bike with a Rekluse unless you screw up the setup or your jetting. When you get into the tight or technical, it feels like cheating. Because you no longer have to be worried about the clutch, your RPM, or even what gear you are in, you are free to concentrate on the terrain and your line.

Seriously, this makes your WR a better bike, all around.

• kincade

Posted November 27, 2005 - 01:11 PM

Wow, an older post come back to haunt! I ended up buying a 2005 WR, shaving the seat, raising the forks in the clamps, and putting in a rekluse. Made a WORLD of difference. The 2005 WR feels like a completely different bike than the 2004; it handles a lot differently.

On the other hand, I'm still keeping my eyes out for a 300 exc; I can't help but think that shaving off 50# would make a difference in the way I feel partway through the day. ;-)

• bobsktm

Posted November 27, 2005 - 04:31 PM

keep the WR, lower the shocks, & for the staling, get a recluse clutch.! :applause:

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted December 02, 2005 - 09:08 PM

There is a lowering link available for the Yamaha now.

I think the link is only good back to 2003. I haven't found anything that does 98-02

• Chuck_Nelson

Posted December 02, 2005 - 09:33 PM

I just bought an 06 WR450F two months ago. When I first got it, I was shocked at how top heavy it felt compared to the 02 KTM400 EXC I rode before. The thing just wouldn't turn at all. I ride mostly Eastern trails, so the Dunlop 739 had to go anyway. That helped a quite a bit. Then I raised the forks in the triple clamps to the first notch. Once I did that the WR turns even better than the KTM! I put the 739 on the KTM just to see if it was the tire, and it really seemed to me that the tire was a very big part of the problem.

I usually dropped the KTM once or twice a ride before. You know, put my foot down and and nothing was there so down the bike goes. I had that happen a couple of times on the WR before I changed tires from the 739 to a 773 and raised the forks up. I have four rides on it now with this setup and I can't remember dropping it since.

Worth a shot...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Beejay

Posted December 03, 2005 - 02:04 PM

Why don't you cut down the seat by 50mm or so, that will bring down your centre of gravity as well as allow you to "touch ground"

• SoCal_Chef

Posted December 03, 2005 - 10:11 PM

Kincaid - I think you've found your solution. To me '04 was just a poor "ergonomics" year for that WR. I had the same bike and ended up selling it so I could buy a KTM. I switched to KTM for all of the same "problems" you mentioned in your original post. The funny part is that after I made the switch, my brother bought an '05 WR450. Yamaha addressed all the problems (lower seat, smaller tank, took away the tanker feeling), and his '05 is completely different feeling bike, imo (same great motor though :applause:).

• ARin

Posted December 03, 2005 - 10:29 PM

i love the tanky feeling of my 04 :applause:

• no names left

Posted December 04, 2005 - 07:08 PM

Man! Moab Kicked my ass as well. In fact, I asked about the same problem last spring. Someone said high heels. Man that didn't help. Sprained my ankle but good! Tried getting stronger, I still fall over. My friends have learned not to stop next to me as I will knock all of us down. Its a well talked (laughed) about fact. "He always falls over" they say.
I am currently buying all new plastics, foot pegs, bar, brush gaurds ect..
GOOD LUCK.
WRS DO RULE! even though they are tall

• kincade

Posted December 05, 2005 - 09:11 AM

Holy cow; I can't believe this thread is still alive!

As I posted above, I DID buy an 05; I DID cut the seat down, installed a rekluse, raised the forks in the triple clamp, etc, etc. I haven't dropped the bike since. 05 feels COMPLETELY different!

Still looking for an 04+ 300exc though; I'm gonna buy one and keep the one I don't like.

• WR TOM

Posted December 05, 2005 - 09:29 AM

Go down & take a good look at the Kaw. KLX300. Lower seat & will probably do everything you like to do?

• kincade

Posted December 05, 2005 - 09:40 AM

Not enough power!

• bfly

Posted December 05, 2005 - 12:33 PM

Holy cow; I can't believe this thread is still alive!

As I posted above, I DID buy an 05; I DID cut the seat down, installed a rekluse, raised the forks in the triple clamp, etc, etc. I haven't dropped the bike since. 05 feels COMPLETELY different!

Still looking for an 04+ 300exc though; I'm gonna buy one and keep the one I don't like.

That is exactly what I did. After only one ride on my 300 I put my 426 up for sale. The 300 matched my riding style a lot better. It is just so easy to control, especially in tight single track. I do miss the WR for when I need to ride on the street to connect trails.

• RMarkus

Posted December 05, 2005 - 12:46 PM

Personally I'd keep the one I liked, but to each his own. :applause:

• kincade

Posted December 06, 2005 - 09:52 AM

LOL, you have a point there. Guess I should proof my posts a little better, huh? ;-)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.