Problem in 5th Gear

4 replies to this topic
  • kurtsyz426

Posted August 11, 2005 - 05:46 AM

I own a 02 426 and noticed when in top going balls out the bike felt as tho it was missing and lurching... every other gear was strong. Then it started to get worse and very quickly i could not even ride in top gear as it would not pull at all. I went to a friend of a friend who is mechanically minded and pulls engines down as a hobby. He took it apart and said the 5th and 3th pinion gear and the shiftfork number 2 © needed to be replaced. Between these parts and the gaskets and seal kit it all cost me $500 (Aussie dollars, which is about $370 USD). The labour cost me $400 AUD. ($300 USD).

Now the questions I have are:
- what has caused this to happen, is my riding style (I have only had the bike 1 year)
- did I get a good deal on the labour, ie: he said it took him about 10 hours to fix

Now its fixed it is as good as it ever was, so I am very pleased with the job he has done. :D

Thanks for your comments.....

• yamahazinger

Posted August 11, 2005 - 07:52 AM

hes your friend and made you pay 400 bucks to take a couple screws and bolts out. I dont think it took any 10 hours to fix so hes prob ripping you off. A repair shop wouldve costed less. If the bike was used then the guy before you probably had done some seriously heavy riding to make the gears wear down. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CHEEZE13

Posted August 11, 2005 - 08:14 AM

First you got ripped, I mean I don't claim to know the labor rates in AUS. but damn thats high. I just did mine 3rd pinion 4th pinion 4th gear 5th gear all three shift forks and all new circlips new high comp piston new gaskets, for about $500.
Second, they just do it don't analysixe it to much. It could be a metallurgical problem with the forks, causing them to deflect and wear in the inner, or a metallurigical problem with the gear, but all that aside it doesn't matter its just part of package deal, continuously meshed transmissions take a lot of interial and axial forces and that just starts to increase the clearence between dogs and slippage occurs.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted August 11, 2005 - 01:01 PM

$300 for 10 hours of work isn't that bad. Thats only $30 an hour. My local Honda shop charges $60 an hour, thats $600 labor for your 10 hours of work.

• 02YZ426

Posted August 11, 2005 - 01:52 PM

Doesnt sound like too bad of a deal.... Its a fairly big job to tear into the transmission. 10 hrs is easily spent doing the repair if you want to do a good job of it. I just did mine over the winter and 3rd, 5th and the shift fork were also gone. I figure mine was buggered up from all the ice racing I did, going 5th pinned around the pond all day long.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.