Difficult getting the first gear in from second.

16 replies to this topic
  • per_s

Posted August 11, 2005 - 12:31 AM

Hello,
sometimes it requries some extra force, not much but still more than expected, to get the first gear in. Is it worn gears or is it just something that occurs now and then?

thanks,
Per :D

• biznet1

Posted August 11, 2005 - 02:21 AM

What oil are you using? Try a very good synthetic oil. There are many opinions as to what people like, but I use Mobil 1 Gold Cap EP 15-50. It's not really made for bikes, but it's extremely similar to the old Mobil 1 Red Cap (no longer available). It's at least worth a try to change oils to see if it helps.

• phat_450f

Posted August 11, 2005 - 02:29 AM

I was told a long time ago synthetic oils eat gaskets???true or not??? Someone once told me go with what the factory recommends...YamaLube

• biznet1

Posted August 11, 2005 - 06:48 AM

That is friggin malarky! The factory recommends Yamalube because they make money off of it. Synthetic oil is much better, but you MUST use the correct one. Most automotive oils have too much moly which will make your clutch slip. Synthetic oil doesn't break down as fast as petroleum based oil and is ideal for these bikes. Mobil 1 also makes an oil specific for MX bikes (Mobil 1 MX4T), but it's a little pricey. There are numerous posts about oil in this forum, do a search and you'll find tons of useful info.

• CHEEZE13

Posted August 11, 2005 - 08:23 AM

Shifting into gear has nothing to do with oil, you could however have a worn shift fork or bent/worn shift cam. If its not broke don't mess with it.

• grayracer513

Posted August 11, 2005 - 09:08 AM

The best fix for this is usually to move the shifter slightly, in this case, one notch up, to make the change more positively. Most people find no need to do more than that.

• biznet1

Posted August 11, 2005 - 09:39 AM

Shifting into gear has nothing to do with oil, you could however have a worn shift fork or bent/worn shift cam. If its not broke don't mess with it.

I've seen it with my own eyes. Oil can make a difference.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted August 12, 2005 - 02:48 AM

Hello,
sometimes it requries some extra force, not much but still more than expected, to get the first gear in. Is it worn gears or is it just something that occurs now and then?

thanks,
Per :D

Is your clutch cable freeplay adjusted correctly?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flintlock28

Posted August 12, 2005 - 07:56 AM

When I first got my bike (used), it would occasionally not want to downshift from 4th to third, or third to second. After I did my first oil change (don't know what the previous owner was using) and put in Yamalube, I had no more shifting problems at all. Could possibly help trying a different oil.

• CHEEZE13

Posted August 12, 2005 - 10:53 AM

I've seen it with my own eyes. Oil can make a difference.

Bull shiet! I will categorize that as a Non Sequitur fallacy, specifically Affirming the Consequent. If A then B, B, therefore A, or in your case if shifting bad, add different oil, I percieve it shifts better so it must have been the oil. Oil is important but it does not improve geometery.

• biznet1

Posted August 12, 2005 - 11:07 AM

Bull shiet! I will categorize that as a Non Sequitur fallacy, specifically Affirming the Consequent. If A then B, B, therefore A, or in your case if shifting bad, add different oil, I percieve it shifts better so it must have been the oil. Oil is important but it does not improve geometery.

Did you see the post directly above yours? Hmmmm. It's not rocket science. Betty luby, better shifty. Case in point. Mine would never go into neutral while running until I put Mobil 1 Red Cap in it.

• CHEEZE13

Posted August 12, 2005 - 11:19 AM

First yes I read all the post thanks for asking. However I hold firm that you are contributing too much to lubricants. I agree that oil is vital and the type of oil is very important, but I see no benefit in it won't go into neutral change the oil and woolaha its better. Have been inside your case and actually observed the mechanism at work?

• biznet1

Posted August 12, 2005 - 11:24 AM

Yes I have been inside the case a few times. I guess it's just a matter of opinion, but when you have the 117 or so posts that talk about how changing the type of oil they used fixed their shifting problems, well I would say, that's a pretty scientific conclusion.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted August 12, 2005 - 12:33 PM

The best fix for this is usually to move the shifter slightly, in this case, one notch up, to make the change more positively. Most people find no need to do more than that.

Ditto that. Per s, Are you using a synthetic oil?

• flintlock28

Posted August 12, 2005 - 03:44 PM

As per my post previously.....I know for a fact that when I first got the bike it would sometimes have difficulty downshifting. After the first oil change, no more problems. The oil looked pretty black when I did the change, so I have no idea as to when, and what type of oil the previous owner used. Before the oil change, it would give me problems about 10% of the time. After changing the oil, within about a half hour of riding, the downshifting problem was gone.....never to return. I realize that's not scientifically Quantified, but looks like it did the trick with my bike.

• per_s

Posted August 15, 2005 - 01:17 AM

Ditto that. Per s, Are you using a synthetic oil?

yes, I have a synthetic oil for engines where the oil is used for both transm and engine.

• ovrrdrive

Posted August 15, 2005 - 01:55 AM

I've also seen it with my own eyes, and felt it with my own foot. :D

Maybe you should investigate things before you are so sure they are not correct.

I have seen it on two different bikes - my FZ1 and my YZ450. The transmissions shift better with the synthetic oil in them. I used Yamalube 15w-50 synth in the FZ1 and I use M1 red cap in my YZ450 and both shifted noticeably smoother with the synthetic oil in them.

Why is this?

I don't know and honestly don't care. I know what I know.

It also helps to adjust the shift lever as grayracer513 suggested. I had to do that too to keep from missing shifts.

biznet1, you are not crazy. :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.