First Service XR650L

34 replies to this topic
  • onaXR

Posted August 13, 2005 - 06:26 AM

Note 3: how long will that tire last if I'm putting on pavement miles?

I have a maxxis knobbie on my L that has just rolled over 3000 Miles all pavement. The factory tire lasted 2000 all pavement. Hope you get that many too. :D

• Jayzonk

Posted August 13, 2005 - 08:29 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know when I get to that point! Could be a month yet!!

• Jayzonk

Posted August 14, 2005 - 09:37 PM

I just rolled 2000 miles on my '05 XRL. I put 1900 hard miles on the stock rear, dunlop k85 or something. It was pretty much bald when I caught a screw and it went flat. Hello D606! I dont expect this tire to last past 1500 miles. I have changed the oil and filter 6 times, adjusted the chain 3 times, and checked the valves once. If you ride easy on the street, no power wheelies, and dont do much spinning in the dirt and rocks
I can see pulling 2500-3000 out of a 50/50 tire, not a knobby.
Jay, I dont think you will have any trouble finding a UNI filter. Have you re-jetted, de-smog, de-snorked yet?

Giant, I haven't jetted or de-smogged yet. I read a few recent comments about guys who haven't noticed any performance improvements, so I'm not sure if I should go through the process or not. I've also read about guys who have burnt their rear fenders from the excess heat coming through the rear exhaust. Any thoughts?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 15, 2005 - 08:20 AM

Jay, you haven't done the mods?
I'm in shock...

D

• ghoti

Posted August 15, 2005 - 09:31 AM

Jay, you haven't done the mods?
I'm in shock...

D

Dave you need to go up there and school that boy :D

• GIANTac1

Posted August 15, 2005 - 02:09 PM

Jay,
I noticed them them slightly.Went from major to slight hesitation when I whacked the throttle, and seemed to get a tid bit louder. After adding the White Bros. e-series exhaust is when I really noticed the difference. Absolutely no throttle bog, and some good power. I have some minor fender melting, my dipstick usually reads between 225-250 doing 65-70 mph for any extended period of time. On the trail it rarely gets above 230.

• Jayzonk

Posted August 15, 2005 - 09:31 PM

How do I keep my fender from melting?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jackrabbit tx

Posted August 16, 2005 - 02:56 AM

I just rolled 2000 miles on my '05 XRL. I put 1900 hard miles on the stock rear, dunlop k85 or something. It was pretty much bald when I caught a screw and it went flat. Hello D606! I dont expect this tire to last past 1500 miles. I have changed the oil and filter 6 times, adjusted the chain 3 times, and checked the valves once. If you ride easy on the street, no power wheelies, and dont do much spinning in the dirt and rocks
I can see pulling 2500-3000 out of a 50/50 tire, not a knobby.
Jay, I dont think you will have any trouble finding a UNI filter. Have you re-jetted, de-smog, de-snorked yet?

2000 miles and you have changed the oil six times?? Why so manny oil changes?? What happened to oil anf filter every 3000????

• ghoti

Posted August 16, 2005 - 09:01 AM

2000 miles and you have changed the oil six times?? Why so manny oil changes?? What happened to oil anf filter every 3000????

Those are low revving car intervals. Most people will change the oil between 500 and 1000 miles depending on the riding situation. If I'm just on the street, I'll stretch it some. If I'm riding slow and go singletrack or real muddy/dusty I'll decrease the interval.

• GIANTac1

Posted August 16, 2005 - 02:51 PM

Those are low revving car intervals. Most people will change the oil between 500 and 1000 miles depending on the riding situation. If I'm just on the street, I'll stretch it some. If I'm riding slow and go singletrack or real muddy/dusty I'll decrease the interval.

We have some real dusty conditions down here in San Diego. I also figured no big deal with spending a extra $6 for a filter, and a extra 10 minutes changing it. Better safe than sorry!

• jackrabbit tx

Posted August 16, 2005 - 02:52 PM

Then why does honda owners manual say to do it, every 2000miles???? :D

• GIANTac1

Posted August 16, 2005 - 03:00 PM

How do I keep my fender from melting?

Mr. anti bling bling..........do you really care :D
I looked into spacing my exhaust out off the mount about 1/4"-1/2" then ran into the issue of possibly melting my turn signal. Then I said, "funk it". Its not bugging me so screw it :D
If you are worried about your fenders melting I am sure somebody here has a slimmer aftermarket that works great :D

• GIANTac1

Posted August 16, 2005 - 03:03 PM

Does it say to change the oil in different intervals, in different conditions?

• Jayzonk

Posted August 16, 2005 - 07:32 PM

Service at 600mi, then every 2000mi. The book states that if you ride the bike in harder conditions than average (ie. at high rpm - wide open throttle for prolonged periods), then you should change it more frequently. That's the goods from the owner's manual.

• Jayzonk

Posted August 16, 2005 - 07:34 PM

Mr. anti bling bling..........do you really care :D
I looked into spacing my exhaust out off the mount about 1/4"-1/2" then ran into the issue of possibly melting my turn signal. Then I said, "funk it". Its not bugging me so screw it :D
If you are worried about your fenders melting I am sure somebody here has a slimmer aftermarket that works great :D

Yeah, you're right! I'm being a hypocrit and I didn't even notice! Okay, Let 'er burn! I'm going to do this stuff in the fall.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.