First Service XR650L

34 replies to this topic
  • Jayzonk

Posted August 10, 2005 - 07:00 PM

Hey,
Just wondering if I can do my 1000km (600 mile) service myself. I think the valves need to be shimmed, plus just an oil and filter change. I can handle the oil/filter, but just wondering what's required for getting the valves shimmed (adjusted?). Can I do it myself?
Note: I'm currently reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - it's making me a little leary about having someone else work on my bike!!
Thanks,
Jason

• motorman

Posted August 10, 2005 - 07:19 PM

its not to bad to adjust valves. just get you a service manual

• Dual_Dog

Posted August 10, 2005 - 07:20 PM

1. Have you ever adjusted the valve lash on a rocker arm & tappet set up before?
2. Do have a Service Manual?
3. Do you have all the right tools?

If you've answered yes to all three of these questions you could probably do it yourself. Just remember a loose valve is a happy valve, make sure you are at TDC on the compression stroke and triple check the lash after spinning the crankshaft (by hand) before closing everything up.

• Jayzonk

Posted August 10, 2005 - 07:23 PM

Haven't adjusted a valve lash on a rocker arm/tappet before. I'll try to find a book with pictures.
Which service manual do I want? Chilton's? Or the official?
What tools do I need?
Thanks,
Jason

• smashinz2002

Posted August 10, 2005 - 07:42 PM

I would HIGHLY recommend that you buy a genuine Honda Service Manual for that bike!
Adjusting the valves on your 650 is not that difficult; but it's highly advisable to have the factory service manual if this is your first time. After you do it once, you'll know how to do it the right way, from then on.
Tools you'll need: Metric socket and wrench set with hex keys, spark plug wrench, small screwdriver, and a good folding style feeler gage.
The shop manual describes the exact procedure step by step.
Don't be suprised if the valves are not out of specified range, many times, the XR engines will run for thousands of miles before the valve lash is out of spec. I have a friend with an '88 NX650 (Euro-version XR sort of), and just had it's first valve check at 8800 miles, only one exhaust valve was just barely, I mean barely, out of spec. So don't expect your bike to need much, if any adjustment, hopefully, you can check the lash, and it will still be in range.
Good luck with it!
L.L.

'00 XR650R
'05 DR650SE
'04 KX500

• Jayzonk

Posted August 10, 2005 - 08:43 PM

Thanks. I'll get the factory manual. As a first timer, I'm thinking I should look at booking off a whole afternoon?
Thanks,
Jason

• ghoti

Posted August 11, 2005 - 04:44 AM

600 miles? Jay, you need to get out more. I have 11,500 on my 04, checked the valve 3 times. They didn't need to be adjusted, but I did anyway. Get the factory manual, I think you can order it online at helms.com. Not sure on the website, check you owners manual, mine had the website listed in the back of it. Take an afternoon and wrap yourself around your L. Get to know it, tighten all the fasteners, clean all the bits. Make sure you lube the zerk on the swingarm. Check the spokes too. Hit each one with a small wrench, if it makes a dull sound it's loose. Also clean the filter at the bottom of the downtube. Have fun, it's pretty straight forward.

• LotsOfBikes

Posted August 11, 2005 - 04:46 AM

Valve adjustments on the XR250, 400, 600, 650L are soooooo easy!!!
All you do is have the engine cold, the inspection ports on the left-hand side of the engine open (one is open so you can turn the crank). You put it at TDC and adjust away..

• Jayzonk

Posted August 11, 2005 - 12:25 PM

600 miles? Jay, you need to get out more. I have 11,500 on my 04, checked the valve 3 times. They didn't need to be adjusted, but I did anyway. Get the factory manual, I think you can order it online at helms.com. Not sure on the website, check you owners manual, mine had the website listed in the back of it. Take an afternoon and wrap yourself around your L. Get to know it, tighten all the fasteners, clean all the bits. Make sure you lube the zerk on the swingarm. Check the spokes too. Hit each one with a small wrench, if it makes a dull sound it's loose. Also clean the filter at the bottom of the downtube. Have fun, it's pretty straight forward.

Geez, I'm gettin' the warm and fuzzies! That sounds like the perfect afternoon! :D
Don't tell my wife, though!!
Note: it's really humid here in Ontario, and not the best riding weather. I'm concerned about overheating, with all the stagnant air. But hey, that's just an excuse! Biggest reason for not getting out there is lack of time!! I admit, I'm a workaholic, and I've got to slow down or I'll end up widowing that 650L.
Note 2: going to see Dust to Glory on Sunday. Did you see it??
Note 3: how long will that tire last if I'm putting on pavement miles?

• GIANTac1

Posted August 11, 2005 - 12:31 PM

Dust To Glory is great! Mouse is an absolute monster :D
When doing your valves listen for your decompression. The hardest part is taking your tank off.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jayzonk

Posted August 11, 2005 - 12:44 PM

Okay. I think I'm going to try this. But I'll order the service manual first. I'll need some grease pans, etc. first. Totally fresh at mechanics! But I'm gonna do it!

• Dual_Dog

Posted August 11, 2005 - 01:04 PM

The main thing about checking the valves is the "feel" when using the feeler gauge and sliding it between the tappet and valve stem. :D

For the experienced mechanic, get the Honda Factory Service Manual. For the shade tree, or not so experienced wrencher, I'd suggest the Clymer manual. The Clymer has more of "how to do" things whereas the FSM makes many assumptions geared for trained mechanics and mostly tells you "what to do."

Lucky for me my XRL came with the Honda FSM when I bought it used from a private party. I did purchase the Clymer for our 400EX, and after reading and using it, I think having both is the best plan, fun tickets permitting...

• Jayzonk

Posted August 11, 2005 - 01:14 PM

I just heard the same thing from the Honda guy. I ordered the Honda manual - $120 Canadian. I imagine the Clymer manual is another $80 Cdn or so. Up to $200 - it probably won't even need $200 worth of service in the first 2 years!!
Oh well, I'm doing it for the experience.

• ghoti

Posted August 11, 2005 - 01:45 PM

Geez, I'm gettin' the warm and fuzzies! That sounds like the perfect afternoon! :D
Don't tell my wife, though!!
Note: it's really humid here in Ontario, and not the best riding weather. I'm concerned about overheating, with all the stagnant air. But hey, that's just an excuse! Biggest reason for not getting out there is lack of time!! I admit, I'm a workaholic, and I've got to slow down or I'll end up widowing that 650L.
Note 2: going to see Dust to Glory on Sunday. Did you see it??
Note 3: how long will that tire last if I'm putting on pavement miles?

No worries on the overheating, it's regularly 100º F here and I sit in traffic, ie not moving, and never had a problem.
I haven't seen the movie, but plan on buying it when it comes out.
I'm in desperate need of my fourth rear tire.

• Jayzonk

Posted August 11, 2005 - 08:46 PM

I've already got wear on my tire. Since I'm 50/50 dirt/street, I figure I'll get about 1500 to 2000 miles out of each tire. Does that sound about right?

• Jayzonk

Posted August 11, 2005 - 08:50 PM

Which basic manual on "how to do the basic things" would complement the official Honda XR650L service manual? Clymer's? Or Chilton's?

• ghoti

Posted August 12, 2005 - 04:32 AM

I've already got wear on my tire. Since I'm 50/50 dirt/street, I figure I'll get about 1500 to 2000 miles out of each tire. Does that sound about right?

The fron will last 6000 or so miles, rears can go 4000 or so.

• Motosprtman

Posted August 12, 2005 - 07:19 AM

I have just a tad over 900 miles on my new 05 650L and all I have done to it is change the oil twice and adjusted the chain twice. Removed the stock air filter and installed a foam Uni filter and removed the smog stuff. Runs strong and does not pop back as much off throttle and on downhills. Feels like it is breaking in and running and shifting smoother overall. My valves are quiet.

• Jayzonk

Posted August 12, 2005 - 07:36 AM

Okay, so a foam Uni Filter? Is that the brand name? Any other brands that are comparable in case I can't find that one?

• GIANTac1

Posted August 12, 2005 - 02:04 PM

I just rolled 2000 miles on my '05 XRL. I put 1900 hard miles on the stock rear, dunlop k85 or something. It was pretty much bald when I caught a screw and it went flat. Hello D606! I dont expect this tire to last past 1500 miles. I have changed the oil and filter 6 times, adjusted the chain 3 times, and checked the valves once. If you ride easy on the street, no power wheelies, and dont do much spinning in the dirt and rocks
I can see pulling 2500-3000 out of a 50/50 tire, not a knobby.
Jay, I dont think you will have any trouble finding a UNI filter. Have you re-jetted, de-smog, de-snorked yet?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.