Attaching Spider Grips???

8 replies to this topic
  • flintlock28

Posted August 10, 2005 - 04:12 PM

After hearing very good reviews about Spider Grips, I got a set and put them on using only rubbing Alcohol as a luricant over a week ago. I normally use Rubbing Alcohol as it evaporates in a day or two and the grips don't move. But, unfortunately the clutch side grip will spin near the outer part of the grip (the throttle side is fine) When I pulled off the clutch side grip, there was quite a bit of Alcohol still there. I dried it off, but I don't know what to do as I want to ride tomorrow after work, and I don't want that damn grip coming off. I know you can't use brake cleaner, or any other solvent on these grips as they'll melt. I have some Duro All purpose adhesive spray I was thinking of trying. Anybody used these grips before??? What do you recommend to keep them on???

• Buckwheat816

Posted August 10, 2005 - 04:22 PM

Hairspray works well and dries quickly. I use alcohol also (and on my grips sometimes) but my grips are always trimmed at the end for barkbusters. You need a way for the alcohol to evaporate...might try poking a few holes in the end of the grip.

• MrWorkout

Posted August 10, 2005 - 04:32 PM

When I've got both grips off I just put some grip glue on one and then shoot some compressed air thru the bars as it slides on. then i just put a little slit in the one that's on and shoot air thru again to get the other side.

• Chills

Posted August 10, 2005 - 04:35 PM

SAFETY WIRE!!! I never use anything other than maybe some spit to slightly lube them, and then safety wire 3-4 section of the grip...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flintlock28

Posted August 10, 2005 - 05:09 PM

I thought about cutting them, but then I'd weaken their durability, plus these new Pro-Taper bars I put on have sealed ends (i.e. they have plugs in the ends) so shooting air thru is not gonna be easy. I think I'm going to try the Duro Adhesive spray, than check them in the morning to see if they have held.

• kmier

Posted August 10, 2005 - 05:32 PM

I used scott's grip glue, works for a while. Hairspray didn't seem as good as spray paint, but they both finally worked loose. Super glue seems to work great though. Can get a six pack of the stuff at wally world for a couple bucks. Bad thing is you have to be fairly quick putting the things on, and don't glue your dang finger to the grip. :D It is a pain in the butt to get it off with out ruining the grip.

• Fly5150

Posted August 10, 2005 - 05:48 PM

You can try the zip ty trick. Put 4 zip ty's in a cross pattern inside the grip and slide it on. Pull out the zip ty's and your grips are on...

• mightymouse291

Posted August 10, 2005 - 07:43 PM

I have had great sucess using paint to install my grips. they lubricate to go on, dry to adhere to the bars, and usually blow off with air when i want to change. Less cleanup than grip glue...And always follow with safety wire...

• ISBB

Posted August 10, 2005 - 08:03 PM

im going to try the zip tye method when i get my new grips and bars... im thinking with a new throttle tube since i already have it apart would be fairly easy to get the grip on the throttle side... :D

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.