Where to buy Clarke 4.0 for 650L

6 replies to this topic
  • lrutt

Posted August 10, 2005 - 04:11 PM

Did a quick search and saw lots of discussion about tanks, but not where to buy. Rocky Mount does not carry for the L. Niether does TT Store. So, where do you guys go, other than straight to Clarke?

• GIANTac1

Posted August 10, 2005 - 05:07 PM

House Of Motorcycles in San Diego :D Thanks fuct :D
Try your local bike shop?

• don87xr600

Posted August 10, 2005 - 05:21 PM

XR600R(1988-2000) is the same tank if that will help your search.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted August 10, 2005 - 05:59 PM

well, this should help cuz its exactly what yer lookin for (i have one.....love it!!!!) http://www.clarkemfg...oduct_Code=1387

• Dual_Dog

Posted August 10, 2005 - 06:05 PM

XR600R(1988-2000) is the same tank if that will help your search.

Same tank yes, different mounting kits though. You need to specify it's for the XRL. I did and they still shipped it for an XR600R. Luckily for me I had some extra hardware and I called the store and got the right top tube foam padding sent out in fairly short order.

Couple items to note for the installation. Make sure you clean out the inside really well before you install it. I used some gas and "rinsed" the tank out and "drained" all the plastic shavings from the manufacturing process.

Also, you need to consider bracing the tank. With the standard mounting from Clarke there really isn't any lateral stability and the petcock can contact the cylinder on the left side or the tank can rub against the CDI on the right side. You'll see what I mean when you install yours. This could be a real problem over time or if you drop the bike...:D

All in all it's one of the best mods you can do for the L. The 4.0 almost doubles the bike's range and that's a good thing. :D

• 2006XR650L

Posted August 11, 2005 - 07:49 AM

i ordered one last thursday(7-4-05) direct from clarke manuf.(part#1387) and recieved it yesterday.(7-10-05) i really like it better than the 4.7 gals.i have seen and it fits and install easily..be sure and take dual dogs advice and clean it really well on the inside,because mine was full of plastic shavings..my L is a 2006,but i dont think there are any differences over the last few model years.i did consider, not using the wire form brace that just connects both sides of the tank at the bottom,and making a brace on each side to the old mount on the frame,but figured i would try clarkes way first and see how it works out..i installed it last night and i really cant tell any difference riding from the stock tank..i did have to say so-long to the locking gas cap from the original tank,which i liked....my advice would be to buy it.

• goblin127

Posted August 11, 2005 - 07:48 PM

That was the only thing the 1st owner did to my 650l. I bought it used with 750 miles its 04. After a couple rides the stock tank came off the clark went on and cant think of any reason it would go back on.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.