Hare Scramble dead engine start technique?

5 replies to this topic
  • 4mud

Posted August 10, 2005 - 08:36 AM

Have recently entered a couple of local hare scrambles with my 04 WR450. The races are started with the bike not running, sitting on the seat with one hand on your helmet. I have been keeping my throttle hand on the bars. On the start signal I hit the e-button grab the hot start lever and the clutch, then shift into gear.

Is there a faster way to get on the move? Any advice is greatly appreciated?

• WGP

Posted August 10, 2005 - 08:47 AM

Get you bike jetted right where you can start it fast with the button (NO Hot Lever Required), I prefer one hand on the clutch if they allow and start in 2nd gear, practice, practice, practice. Starting in 2nd can be tricky when the pressure is on and you may stall-it a couple times :D But you have a 100 miles to go so no need to cry :D
I have also seen : stradle the front fender (this you keep bike in nuetral and hit the button from the front with the opposite hand, by the time your on the bike its already running.
Hold the rear fender with both hands, pretty easy, just run up hit the button while your getting on.
Both hands on helmet, same thing.
The main thing is to practice with someone giving you a start and time you for 1000 feet. Keep practicing escpecially the day before the race and you'll have the holeshot :D

• gmoss357

Posted August 10, 2005 - 09:28 AM

bike in 1st, estart no hot lever, bike warm but not hot, when the flag drops hit it and go. Where most of us, me included, mess up is at the entrance to the woods or the 1st turn. One of my buddies that has raced motocross for years told me not to let up till right at the end of the straight. Most everyone else will let off to keep from piling up. I tried it the next race and went from middle of the pack(20 guys) to 4th into the woods behind two 2 strokes and a 450. Stay in the throttle and don't back down, that will get you a better start more often than the actual start. :D

Good luck

Garrett

P.S. in case I wasn't clear, e-start the bike in 1st gear, less chance of stalling (which I have done in 2nd gear start)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 4mud

Posted August 10, 2005 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will try these tips and practice, practice, practice.

• fish525

Posted August 10, 2005 - 03:34 PM

Hear in so cal we race desert H and H scrambles you get the point any ways this is what works for me at the same time as you hit the magic button kick it over to works every time for me and practice practice practice so you guys due a bomb start to, cool it is the bigest rush in racing :D

• tp3dxf

Posted August 10, 2005 - 05:44 PM

Hear in so cal we race desert H and H scrambles you get the point any ways this is what works for me at the same time as you hit the magic button kick it over to works every time for me and practice practice practice so you guys due a bomb start to, cool it is the bigest rush in racing :D

I race So Cal dez as well. I don't have the magic button on my 01 WR. But I have found that with practice and a good warm engine I can get off the line faster then electric start bikes. I run a Hot Camshafts auto deco cam.

My problem isn't getting off the line. It's staying in front!!! Which never happens. I have to say that there is something special about a good bomb start. Nothing like hearing 100 or so bikes come to life at once. Man what a rush.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.