headpipe's glow, but...

6 replies to this topic
  • 800screws

Posted August 09, 2005 - 06:07 PM

when i put on a fmf titanium 4 silencer and up'd the main to a 170, when it idles, it turns molten red! i put the stock back on and nothing. fmf recommends that the fuel screw be turned out 2.5 turns...would that help the glowing?
also would mis-shimmed valves make a ticking noise when it's running?

• 642MX

Posted August 09, 2005 - 06:22 PM

Didn't we just go over all this?? :D

Headers glow....It's a fact. My factory header glows.

2.5 turns out would be richer than the stock setting, so yes, it could help cool the engine a little better. It is however, impossible to tell you that 2.5 turns out is the perfect set-up.......maybe 2 turns out will make your bike snappier?? Thats why you need an adjustable fuel screw (like a MSR) then you can make changes while the bikes running.

Loose valves make a ticking sound, you have checked them?......Right?... You really should not worry about jetting issues until you have your valves properly set. :D

• XR650LSMGSGP

Posted August 09, 2005 - 06:26 PM

i was told by JD that its common for the header pipe to glows when rev hard on standstill.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 09, 2005 - 07:29 PM

Was it like THIS?

(from Wrooster's "collection" - used without permission)

• storm 800

Posted August 09, 2005 - 08:38 PM

What the HELL was that? :D

• ovrrdrive

Posted August 10, 2005 - 12:44 AM

when i put on a fmf titanium 4 silencer and up'd the main to a 170, when it idles, it turns molten red! i put the stock back on and nothing. fmf recommends that the fuel screw be turned out 2.5 turns...would that help the glowing?
also would mis-shimmed valves make a ticking noise when it's running?

I would say definitely adjust the fuel screw out and see if that helps. If you get past 3 turns out, go up one size on the pilot jet.

Glowing orange is normal, molten red is not.

• 800screws

Posted August 10, 2005 - 02:52 AM

thanks for the info

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.