Simply Green to clean air filter question

26 replies to this topic
  • tp3dxf

Posted August 10, 2005 - 05:31 PM

wash with simple green and use k&n spray oil-have been doing this for along time with excellent results-2 strokes -4 strokes no problems.

I had a K&N in my last truck. I cleaned it once using the K&N filter cleaner and that stuff worked really good on the K&N filter. I wonder if it would damage a non K&N filter? I still have the cleaning/oil kit. May have to try it out.

No-Toil is still the way to go. I hear that Twin Air has a product that is very similar to No-Toil. Twin Air also told me that No-Toil will work with their air filters. I am testing that out right now. May have to give the new Twin Air oil and cleaner a try as well.

• dckgmiller

Posted August 10, 2005 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to use dish soap on it now.

No way I'm going to put it in the washing machine or dish washer....
the wife would chew my a$$ off.

• rushfan

Posted August 10, 2005 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to use dish soap on it now.

No way I'm going to put it in the washing machine or dish washer....
the wife would chew my a$$ off.

Well, all joking aside, and please...no flames. We all seem to have opinions on what works for ourselves and some of us will try other ideas...It's all good. :D

Out of all of the ideas that I've read regarding this topic, I have to agree that having more than one filter is a great idea. :D Maybe if someone who has like 2 or more filters, they can try cleaning each one with something different and see which one works the best. :eek:

I have to wonder though, I you clean it with gasoline and the carb backfires...um, what will happen :D Do ya think the filter will burn? I mean really. Is that possible?? I don't know...That's why I'm asking. Sound scary to me. It sounds like a good way for our azz to go poof!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tp3dxf

Posted August 10, 2005 - 07:08 PM

I think a good back fire could melt a filter. I think that is why 4 strokes have a screen in the filter cage. I don't know how much that would help. But I do know that gas or other flamable solvents have been used for years. They work well I have used gas before years ago. But it seems a little harsh by todays standards. What do you do with the dirty gas after the filter is cleaned? I know what I did with it and won't do it again.

Like it has already been said everyone seems to preferr a certain method. And in the end as long as your filter is clean and you have some type of oil to protect against dirt passing into the engine it works.

Good discussion overall.

• Matty05

Posted August 10, 2005 - 07:13 PM

I think a good back fire could melt a filter. I think that is why 4 strokes have a screen in the filter cage.

They have a cage so that a backfire won't blow the filter clean off.
You can get a handy performance boost by cutting out this cage.

• David37

Posted August 10, 2005 - 08:57 PM

Here is another vote for No-Toil, once you switch over you won't go back to regular air filter oil. The best part of No-Toil is the soap and water cleanup.

• wakin

Posted August 11, 2005 - 09:47 AM

No-Toil is still the way to go. I hear that Twin Air has a product that is very similar to No-Toil. Twin Air also told me that No-Toil will work with their air filters. I am testing that out right now. May have to give the new Twin Air oil and cleaner a try as well.

No Toil hosed my UNI but I've had a Twin Air on for over a year & the No Toil is fine.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.