Reving out??

12 replies to this topic
  • jackrabbit tx

Posted August 09, 2005 - 02:50 AM

Im kind of worried about takeing my 650L too high in rpm's.
Only mod I have is I have droped one tooth on the front sprocket from stock. What is the defenition of reving out? I cruse nicely at 70 to 75 mph. but after that it gets pretty buzzy. Is there a pont where the engine will top/rev out safely? Or am I pushing my luck? Remember Im an ex V-twin guy. So this is a little dirent animal for me. :D

• petedrz

Posted August 09, 2005 - 02:55 AM

I don't think you will ever get to the point were you have the bike pined in 6th gear. So probably woring about the impossible. Just my view of it.

• roadcam

Posted August 09, 2005 - 04:02 AM

I don't think you will ever get to the point were you have the bike pined in 6th gear. So probably woring about the impossible. Just my view of it.

I wholeheartedly agree, since it only has 5 gears ... also, I'm not sure, but I wonder if it doesn't have a rev-limiter designed into its circuitry .. ??
:D

• Toolmaker

Posted August 09, 2005 - 05:39 AM

I wouldn't worry about it unless you run it like that for long periods at a time , if thats they case step up the front sprocket a tooth .

I had my 600 pinned open just this morning going to work ( made damn good time )

• thumper245

Posted August 09, 2005 - 08:59 PM

It is a known fact that he will never get it pinned in 6th or even in 6th for that matter. It is only a 5 speed. Sorry I had to get that in there.

• Captain Midnight

Posted August 09, 2005 - 09:41 PM

Two things. The stock motor will not generally rev high enough to hurt inself. Sustained high RPM's can be damaging. Cruising at 4,000 would be OK, but if your turning 6,000 for hours, things are not going to last too long. The stock motor won't rev much more than 7,200 to 7,400.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LotsOfBikes

Posted August 10, 2005 - 12:00 AM

The 650L most assuredly has a rev-limiter built into the electronic ignition.. All Hondas do. The XR400's is at 9500rpm.. The 650L's may be around 7500rpm (Which I never get close to because of my stock muffler.) But after over 50,000 miles of brutal abuse, revving the engine seems to have had little effect in how it performs now. I've done may long trips with the throttle WFO for over 200 miles at a time. I still rev it out when I'm out flogging around.

The YZ400's was set at 11,400. I don't know about the new 450's.

For any Japanese motor to be sold on the Japanese market, the engines must endure 24 hours at their respective redlines under load. After disassembly inspection, the engines components cannot show any signs of adverse wear. Automobile engines are no exception.

When they did this test on British bikes in the 1970's, the engines simply grenaded. Harley engines back in the 1970's lasted 8 seconds on average.. Isn't that the duration of a Bull ride???? :D

• jackrabbit tx

Posted August 10, 2005 - 01:46 AM

Thx lotsofbikes. good info. :D

• Jayzonk

Posted August 10, 2005 - 08:04 AM

"But after over 50,000 miles of brutal abuse, revving the engine seems to have had little effect in how it performs now. I've done may long trips with the throttle WFO for over 200 miles at a time. I still rev it out when I'm out flogging around."

I hope I never buy a used bike from you! :D

• truck6driver

Posted August 10, 2005 - 08:34 AM

I can say this for a fact. The XR650L does have a rev limiter. I have hit it on several ocasions. The only thing about running high RPM's is if it is sustained for a long period of time the oil will get pumped out of the lower end faster than it can drain back down causing lowend failure. As for 70-75 mph, that is not going to be a factor. If you were talking about 95 and 100mph for hours yes it will fail. As for anything else " RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT". it will take it.

RH

• ghoti

Posted August 10, 2005 - 08:38 AM

What Captain Midnight said :D This motor will seriously drop off the horsepower curve well before the limiter. Unless it's got a big header, cam, carb, exhaust...

• Dual_Dog

Posted August 10, 2005 - 08:38 AM

Im kind of worried about takeing my 650L too high in rpm's.

Can't do that. It has a built-in rev limiter.

What is the defenition of reving out?

Hitting the maximum rpm's just before the rev limiter kicks in or shuts the motor down (temporarily).

I cruse nicely at 70 to 75 mph. but after that it gets pretty buzzy. Is there a pont where the engine will top/rev out safely? Or am I pushing my luck? Remember Im an ex V-twin guy. So this is a little dirent animal for me. :D

These (old) RFVC engines are about as bullet-proof as they come. You can wind 'em out all day long if you want. The gas mileage is about the only thing that suffers. I only use the 14-T cs sprocket for off-roading since I ride more freeways than I care to here in So Cal. The motor sounds like (no tach) it's in the corrrect rpm range cruising at 70 mph with the 15-T. This varies with the rear tire size you are running. I've got a 120/90-18 on the back right now.

My bike is always buzzing. Maybe it has something to do with having DOT knobs on both ends. :D

• LotsOfBikes

Posted August 10, 2005 - 04:54 PM

Jayzonk, I know you want to by my lapped-out 650L.. I'll make you a deal... You give me $5,000 US and I'll let you have it.. Wierd engine clicking noises and all..
PS> you'd be getting ripped off!!! :D

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.