POLISPORT PLASTICS or Hurricane kit

17 replies to this topic
  • WR4BLUE6

Posted August 08, 2005 - 06:51 PM

I'm in the process of braking down my 2002 WR 426 (YZ plate and rear fender) for the upcoming season. I will be getting new plastic and I'm looking for some input. I read that Polisport plastic held up better than stock or Acerbis. Any opinions?

And how about the Hurricane graphics kit? Is the quality there? What color did you paint the frame? Would you do it again?

• joshb

Posted August 08, 2005 - 06:58 PM

I just bought the Polisport # plate and side panels from Chaparral for 45 bucks. They are looking great so far!

• Joe Reitman

Posted October 06, 2005 - 01:46 PM

I bought black Polisport plastic from bikebandit.com for my KX. $79 delivered!!!!

I sure wish I could find it for my 05 WR too. Anyone bought it for the new WR's? Bikebandit.com had the KX stuff cheap, but nothing for the WR.

It looks like a new bike, well, almost, I just need to wash it properly.

The polisport plastic seems to be very high quality.Apparently it does not have the spider webbing effect when the fender is tweaked in a fall.

A word of caution- the plastic does NOT shine up well with Meguiar's spray on Quick Wax. It instead gives it more of a satin finish, the black becomes more like a dark gunmetal look.

• Matty05

Posted October 06, 2005 - 08:06 PM

A word of caution- the plastic does NOT shine up well with Meguiar's spray on Quick Wax. It instead gives it more of a satin finish, the black becomes more like a dark gunmetal look.

You should be using silicone spray. Shines like a mofo!

• Endurordr

Posted October 06, 2005 - 09:50 PM

I love the Polisport plastic. I just wish they offered ALL the pieces for a WR. Anyways, I'll take what I can get.

• spy

Posted October 06, 2005 - 09:59 PM

I going polisport too from acerbis! When i get the money that is. My current plastics are more than 3 yrs old and are very beat up minus the rear fender thats only around a year or more. Dont know who made the other plastics but the rear fender is acerbis and is the most beat up(not from crashes, from weather).

• Joe Reitman

Posted October 08, 2005 - 12:28 PM

Silicaone spray? Any particular brand work best? Thanks.

• Matty05

Posted October 09, 2005 - 05:47 PM

Silicaone spray? Any particular brand work best? Thanks.

I am using CRC 808 silicone spray at the moment, but they should all be the same.

Dust sticks to the bike easier, but it is SOOOOOOO much easier to clean afterwards. You can just spray it with the hose and back to new!

• Joe Reitman

Posted October 14, 2005 - 02:25 PM

I am using CRC 808 silicone spray at the moment, but they should all be the same.

Dust sticks to the bike easier, but it is SOOOOOOO much easier to clean afterwards. You can just spray it with the hose and back to new!

Thanks- going to Lowe's in a few minutes and will pick up some. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted October 14, 2005 - 02:47 PM

You should be using silicone spray. Shines like a mofo!

I remember reading another thread where the TTer used future liquid floor wax. He said it shines great and didn't leave them slippery and didn't collect dust :banghead:

• Ga426owner

Posted October 14, 2005 - 02:56 PM

Polisport is the best blue plastic period.....it stays blue the longest..... :banghead:

• Joe Reitman

Posted October 17, 2005 - 01:11 PM

I remember reading another thread where the TTer used future liquid floor wax. He said it shines great and didn't leave them slippery and didn't collect dust :banghead:

I have tried mop n glo but too much residue...

• rockieman

Posted October 17, 2005 - 01:26 PM

I'm in the process of braking down my 2002 WR 426 (YZ plate and rear fender) for the upcoming season. I will be getting new plastic and I'm looking for some input. I read that Polisport plastic held up better than stock or Acerbis. Any opinions? I've always bought Acerbis plastic and doubt that anyone's plastic holds up better then anyone else's ....at least not the way I go down :banghead:

And how about the Hurricane graphics kit? Is the quality there?[COLOR=DarkRed] I am on my third set of Hurrican graphics, they are very thick and hold up excellent IMO[/COLOR]. What color did you paint the frame? [COLOR=Red]I powdered my frame black[/COLOR] Would you do it again? [COLOR=DarkRed]Three times [/COLOR] :banghead:

Here's a picture after my most recent restoration....

http://i14.photobuck...0F/wr400f11.jpg

• jackofall

Posted October 17, 2005 - 02:23 PM

How do you buff the scratches out? I've used a heat gun to melt all the light blue back to dark blue, but I have many many scratches that need to come out. I saw some paste at the local dealership that said it would work, but I'm skeptical. Anyone with experience doing this?

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 17, 2005 - 02:39 PM

That is so sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead: :lol: :busted: :busted: :lol: :busted: :banghead: :lol: :busted: :busted:

Posted Image

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 17, 2005 - 03:08 PM

That is a very cool looking bike :banghead:

I would be afraid to ride it for fear of screwing up the bling........

• JMathis

Posted October 19, 2005 - 05:34 PM

Where did you get the yellow plastics and graphics? I am all over that, I was thinking about getting a new YZ450 just to get the yellow plastics.

Please! Please! Please!

• rockieman

Posted October 20, 2005 - 05:53 AM

Where did you get the yellow plastics and graphics? I am all over that, I was thinking about getting a new YZ450 just to get the yellow plastics.

Please! Please! Please!

Go to One Industries http://www.oneindust....com/index2.htm
You'll have to buy the plastic and graphics for the YZ, I don't believe they make them for the WR. Mine is a WR ('99) with the YZ tank and seat. I was real lucky when I initially did mine....When I bought the seat tank combo they had a yellow tank that matched the yellow from One perfectly. Otherwise you have to install the tank graphics around your blue tank which works...but you do see some blue around the cap. If I couldn't get the yellow tank I would go for either the white or natural tank.
Good luck!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.