yz 450 power compared to wr450

8 replies to this topic
  • rasta

Posted August 08, 2005 - 03:43 PM

i have a 02 426 and a 03 yz 450, looking to get a 05 or maybe a 06 wr 450 for street legal use, how does the power compare to the 2 bikes that i own,thanks

• Joe Reitman

Posted August 08, 2005 - 07:12 PM

My free modded '05 WR is well down on power compared to the YZ.

I attribute the difference to mild cam grind and restrictive muffler.

• wrkaholic

Posted August 08, 2005 - 07:41 PM

I have '02s because of California green sticker. As you know, the '02 motors are essentially identical except for the exhaust cam timing and the free mods. So, if you advance the exhaust cam, you have a yz motor. After '02, they started changing the cam grinds between the YZ and WR. I am not sure if this started in '03 or '04. I believe I read that the '05 WR also has slightly different head flow characteristics to go along with the WR cam. I am sure that everything that was done was in the interest of torque down low, and smooth delivery, but, I have no first hand experience.

BTW, how do you plan on plating it in California. I believe you are SOL on plating a WR in CA. :D

• Matty05

Posted August 09, 2005 - 02:56 AM

Don't forget about flywheel weight. That makes a big difference too.
Stepping off a YZ, you may find the WR some what lacking. The snap just aint there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • the go-devil

Posted August 09, 2005 - 03:44 AM

I went from a 03 WR450F with a YZ cam to a 04 YZ450F back in March and I couldn't believe the power difference. The YZ feels like a keg of dynamite! Like Matty05 said, it's all in the flywheel. The WR just takes more time to rev.
When I trade bikes during a ride with my friend who has stock 04 WR, I have to think the whole time "is this really a 450?" Can't beat that WR 5 speed though. If only Yamaha would make a YZ with a WR tranny. :D

• Matty05

Posted August 10, 2005 - 03:04 AM

I went from a 03 WR450F with a YZ cam to a 04 YZ450F back in March and I couldn't believe the power difference. The YZ feels like a keg of dynamite! Like Matty05 said, it's all in the flywheel. The WR just takes more time to rev.
When I trade bikes during a ride with my friend who has stock 04 WR, I have to think the whole time "is this really a 450?" Can't beat that WR 5 speed though. If only Yamaha would make a YZ with a WR tranny. :D

Hehehe, '06YZ has a 5 speed! YES!!! :D

• ncmountainman

Posted August 10, 2005 - 07:28 AM

Hehehe, '06YZ has a 5 speed! YES!!! :D

close ratio 5 spd,from what i'm gathering 1-3 will be the same, shorter than current 4th with a slightly taller than current 4th,5th gear . which will not exactly be much of an improvement for off road.

• MotoGoalie

Posted August 10, 2005 - 10:12 AM

Why in the hell don't they just build a WR with a fully opened up YZ engine? The gearbox is the worst part of the YZ. If it had a WR set, it would be the PERFECT dirtbike.

And leave that junk electric start in the garage.

• Matty05

Posted August 10, 2005 - 02:58 PM

Why in the hell don't they just build a WR with a fully opened up YZ engine? The gearbox is the worst part of the YZ. If it had a WR set, it would be the PERFECT dirtbike.

And leave that junk electric start in the garage.

Here in Australia, we got a YZ250WR which is just a YZ250 with a headlight that you can register.
They didn't come out with the alloy frame one so I missed out.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.