Head pooched?

3 replies to this topic
  • fowler175

Posted August 08, 2005 - 01:20 PM

Well, I found out what was causing my 450 to lock up. It turns out that for some reason my intake cam wasn't getting enough oil, and siezing on the journals (this time it locked up hard and jumped out of time!). Not sure why, as there is plenty getting to the exhaust, and the passages don't seem to be plugged. Maybe a weak oil pump? Anyways the journals on the head are damaged enough that the edges are furled over and I can't even remove the buckets! Am I stuck with buying a new head, or can I maybe get it built up and machined back to spec? The cam surfaces are still within spec and smooth, but look very dull. Is there a hard surface that maybe got removed? :D

I really like this bike for the 5 minutes thet I have actually gotten to ride it!!
Hopefully this is the last probs I have with it or it's down the road and back to Suzi!!

• MotoGoalie

Posted August 08, 2005 - 01:26 PM

Did you recently reshim or have the cams out for any reason? Who did the work?

Perhaps they weren't torqued down properly?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fowler175

Posted August 08, 2005 - 01:42 PM

I recently took the cams out to change the head gasket. I bought a new torque-wrench (couldn't find a 1/4", so had to get a 3/8" 5-80lb), but it felt a little inconsistent. Think that would cause it? BTW, anyone know where to get a good deal on a new/used head. It's an 04 yzf450. I checked ebay, but no luck.

• sharpmarble

Posted August 08, 2005 - 02:25 PM

I'm in the same boat as you, previous owner torqued the caps too tight. I had to scrape out the mushroomed aluminum with a screwdriver and then Dremel it all smooth. It runs, but I don't know for how long.....

The cheapest new head I could find was through www.crotchrocket.com

Good luck.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.