Just bought new 05 WR450F

6 replies to this topic
  • Flaminchiten1967

Posted August 08, 2005 - 12:22 PM

I just purchased a new WR450F and took it out to the sand dunes yesterday to do the recommended engine break in. I got a paddle tire when I got the bike but the mechanic recommended not using it to break in the engine so I was on the knobby tire. The bike seemed to push and wonder a lot in the sand will the paddle help with this a lot?

I have searched and read about the free mods and plan on doing these. Couple questions that I didn't find answers on when I was searching.

Which free mods will require me to rejet the bike?

Can these be done in any order? Or do they have to be done in certain order or all at once?

I'm sure I will have more questions later but thats all I got now :D

• Johnny34

Posted August 08, 2005 - 12:36 PM

You broke your bike in at the sand dunes?!?!? :D I would think that would be about the most harsh break-in conditions ever attempted. Well, good luck with that.

As far as the free mods go there is no specific order to them, just do them all. You will need to re-jet to rid yourself of the lean condition no matter what. $10 bucks for a few jets is all you need, or you can go for the more complete JD kit.

Welcome to TT.

• ISBB

Posted August 08, 2005 - 12:37 PM

in the sand. you just gotta get comfy.. :D when i was riding on my knobbie things tended to wander a bit... swapped to a paddle and it kept the front end above the sand... and yes the dealership was right dont use a paddle to break in the motor in the sand... get a 8 blade kings turbo paddle and go to town... :D lots of fun..

i ride a 426 in glamis..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ISBB

Posted August 08, 2005 - 12:40 PM

You broke your bike in at the sand dunes?!?!? :D I would think that would be about the most harsh break-in conditions ever attempted. Well, good luck with that.

As far as the free mods go there is no specific order to them, just do them all. You will need to re-jet to rid yourself of the lean condition no matter what. $10 bucks for a few jets is all you need, or you can go for the more complete JD kit.

Welcome to TT.

he used the knobbie... and he is at sea level the stock jetting should be fine.. :D

btw i broke mine in the same way and have had no problems for 3 years... so far.. :D

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted August 08, 2005 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think im gonna snip the grey wire and do the throttle stop mods first then do the others when I get the JD kit and get it running just right.

• Flip01

Posted August 08, 2005 - 02:37 PM

Generally, breaking in any kind of motor in the sand is a bad idea simply because of the revs it takes to ride like you're supposed to in it. That being said, I've done it before and everything turned out alright. Just take it easy.

The 739 front tire that the WR comes with really SUCKS. Jump to a 756 when you get a chance. You'll notice a definate difference in the soft stuff.

My recommendation would be to rejet FIRST. You'll notice the biggest difference and save your motor from running super lean. Too lean is always bad. Throttle stop and air/fuel screw next. The grey wire IMO made a small difference but nothing compared to the above mods. :D

-Flip

• clark4131

Posted August 08, 2005 - 03:03 PM

... at sea level the stock jetting should be fine...

Uh, not really. At sea level, the '05's stock jetting is rather lean and unless he wants to fry his motor, he needs to re-jet with a bigger pilot at least and possibly a larger main. Look at Indy's jetting chart for a nice little starting point, and you'll get the picture...SC

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.