yz to wr conversion

9 replies to this topic
  • darksun27

Posted August 07, 2005 - 09:55 PM

I know what you guys are thinking well why didnt you just buy a wr 426? Well the answer is that the yz is a whole lot more kick@$$ and was avaliable at the time. it just needs a few mods to become offroad worthy. ALL im wanting to do is to put a kickstand and lights on it. I have allread orderd a kickstand via ebay $40 its rly nice and its worth it. Now im wondering wich is the best route for lighting things up. Ive looked in Dennis Kirk and all those offroad people and things run around $200-$300 for headlight and coil. My real question is if i choose that route who should i go with to save the $$$, or should i just try to find some used wr 426 componets? And will i need any other parts besides a headlight and coil? ANY help would be nice and i would Greatly appreatite it.

• DMMEYER

Posted August 07, 2005 - 11:13 PM

I bought a yz and tried to do the same thing, and my brother bought a wr. Going up some hills was a pain in the ass and you had to do a lot of work to keep the front end down and stop the bike from trying to take off from me. It's like riding a 2-stroke up a hill in 2nd gear going 10-15 mph and trying not to staul it.
The lighting issue is going to cost you because the stater in the yz is not built to run lights so your going to have to up grade the stator to handle the demand for the needed output of lights. Baja Designs in southern cali has a kit to do all that you need but it's about $500 for the light kit and about $450 for the stator kit. Thats why I sold my yz and found a wr that has a plate, all the lights, yz timing on the cam, white bros e-series, power-now ring and I cam keep up with the yz's on the trails and blow them away on the long straight-aways at about 80-90mphs. You can't beat the torque of a wr.

WR's are great because their is so much you can do with them.

2001 wr426

DEE

• Daz_426_02

Posted August 08, 2005 - 12:29 AM

You can go for the Baja Designs option which as mentioned is about $500, there are a few cheaper options available. I bought a lighting coil for mine and replaced the standard one. Its fairly good wattage but is not as expensive as the Baja. You will probably get away with $250 with the light and tail light if you do with a aftermarket lighting coil.

The Baja Designs will be higher wattage but more $$$

• henrysdad

Posted August 08, 2005 - 08:35 AM

If you decide to go with the electrex L38 lighting coil, order it from Electrex in the U.K. find them with google or the like. I paid 145$ including shipping ,they are getting 225$ here.

just enough power for a headlihgt ,nothing spectacular.

I have had one fail on the ignition side for what it is worth.

• ISBB

Posted August 08, 2005 - 11:57 AM

HID helmet light.. :D

Im doing the opposite going from a WR to a YZ.. lol

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miketuft

Posted August 26, 2005 - 03:19 PM

I'm trying not to kick myself for not buying the WR, so i need to light the front of my YZ426. All I need is the front light, no tail or blinkers. Can I just buy a wr stator, and get a light from the junk yard, and make it fit? I'll probably only use this one time, for the air races in Reno, we usually go for the night ride. This is once a year, and i will probably have a different bike next year.any additional help would be appreciated.

• bob333

Posted August 27, 2005 - 10:54 AM

I know what you guys are thinking well why didnt you just buy a wr 426? Well the answer is that the yz is a whole lot more kick@$$ and was avaliable at the time. it just needs a few mods to become offroad worthy. ALL im wanting to do is to put a kickstand and lights on it. I have allread orderd a kickstand via ebay $40 its rly nice and its worth it. Now im wondering wich is the best route for lighting things up. Ive looked in Dennis Kirk and all those offroad people and things run around $200-$300 for headlight and coil. My real question is if i choose that route who should i go with to save the $$$, or should i just try to find some used wr 426 componets? And will i need any other parts besides a headlight and coil? ANY help would be nice and i would Greatly appreatite it.

if your going of roading with it you need hanguards and not the crappy non wrap around ones go with the emgos in dennis kirk they rock and if you do tight trails or hillclimbs you should drop a tooth on the front sprocket then it be an awesome offroader :D :D :D :eek:

• bob333

Posted August 27, 2005 - 10:56 AM

HID helmet light.. :D

Im doing the opposite going from a WR to a YZ.. lol

me to

• Blackswan

Posted August 27, 2005 - 07:46 PM

04 YZ450

Bought new last August... two weeks later we trailered our bikes to Breckenridge from Houston... tried riding stock the first day... Mistake!

First evening I sat down and put the 13 tooth sprocket on the front.... radiator guards and skid plate! ALL A MUST!

The stock skid plates are junk and radiator guards saved me for sure!!!

I softened the compression up and had a blast!

I ran stock jetting while I was there and it popped and flamed and I really needed to get a spark arrestor... I figured it wouldn't hurt to run it rich since she was virtually brand new and left it alone.

This year... for the same trip... I added the number plate fuel tank from Acerbis because the stock tank is TINY! Got a kickstand, spark arrestor, bark busters on a dedicated set of bars... up and down on the main and pilot jets.

Unfortunately my buds had to go without me because my Pops passed away and I had estate issues to deal with... Now I just stare at my new goodies in the garage while waiting for next year...

• yzf450jack

Posted August 27, 2005 - 08:02 PM

I seen a post here about rewiring your stator cut and solder wires try searching for it i know it's in here someware or http://64.40.147.205...BElectrical.pdf

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.