bike stalls alot on tight mx track

28 replies to this topic
  • 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted August 26, 2005 - 10:42 PM

I guess I am in left field here... If you need a flywheel weight on the track with an 03 YZ450, something is wrong. You either have an issue with your bike or you aren't riding it to the potential of the machine. A well tuned 450 (or any performance 4-Stroke) should purr around the track with very little stalling or throttle response to keep it running. You don't need to rev a 4-stroke like a 2-stroke to "keep it on pipe".

I run my 426 on the MX track and run it in very tight woods and almost never have an issue with stalling. (Lower gearing does help for the woods) If stalling is problem on the MX track (not the woods or trails) you have a bigger issue.

Not trying to be too hard here but I just don't see why you would want a fly-wheel weight for a MX bike on a MX-track. Again, if this is a problem for you, you may have purchased the wrong bike for your ridding style.

Just my .02 :D

• grayracer513

Posted August 26, 2005 - 11:47 PM

or go to a wr flywheel

a WR flywheel cannot be installed on a YZ450. It won't fit under the cover, and a WR cover won't fit the YZ cases.

I guess I am in left field here... If you need a flywheel weight on the track with an 03 YZ450, something is wrong. You either have an issue with your bike or you aren't riding it to the potential of the machine. A well tuned 450 (or any performance 4-Stroke) should purr around the track with very little stalling or throttle response to keep it running. You don't need to rev a 4-stroke like a 2-stroke to "keep it on pipe".

I run my 426 on the MX track and run it in very tight woods and almost never have an issue with stalling. (Lower gearing does help for the woods) If stalling is problem on the MX track (not the woods or trails) you have a bigger issue.

Not trying to be too hard here but I just don't see why you would want a fly-wheel weight for a MX bike on a MX-track. Again, if this is a problem for you, you may have purchased the wrong bike for your ridding style.

Just my .02 :D

I don't want to come off the wrong way either, but in fairness, you don't sound like you've spent any saddle time on an '03 YZ450. As powerful as your 426 is, it is far more the mellow natured, old school thumper than the '03 is. The first 450's have about half the flywheel weight that your bike has (the flywheel is about the size of your closed fist), and the combination of that and a very aggressive ignition map produced a four-stroke that's as much like a big two-stroke as there ever has been. "Explosive" barely describes it. They are just not comparable.

• djo269

Posted August 27, 2005 - 12:41 AM

Ok, I'll admit. I don't ride my yz450 to its potential. I go slow up some of the jump faces to get comfortable with the jumps on some tracks. It's when I am going up jump faces, that I am stalling the engine. Somehow I feel on this particular bike that 2nd gear is too low and 3rd gear is too tall. Does anyone else feel this way? I just came off a 2002 yz250f. I don't feel comfortable staying in 2nd gear when jumping. So what causes me to stall is lugging it in 3rd gear on jump faces. I need some advice on how to improve on my own riding technique with this bike. thanx

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted August 27, 2005 - 03:23 PM

. As powerful as your 426 is, it is far more the mellow natured, old school thumper than the '03 is. The first 450's have about half the flywheel weight that your bike has (the flywheel is about the size of your closed fist), and the combination of that and a very aggressive ignition map produced a four-stroke that's as much like a big two-stroke as there ever has been. "Explosive" barely describes it. They are just not comparable.

Gray-I respect your comments but my point wasn't to compare a 426 to an 03 450...The point I was trying to make is that if someone has a problem stalling a 450 on the MX track, there is a good chance that they have purchased the wrong bike for their ridding style or their bike has problems...I have a good friend of mine who recently purchased an 03 450 and he either stalls it all the time on the MX track we ride or he crashes.

I can jump on his bike and ride it no problem without stalling on either the MX track or in tight woods... In all honestly he should have bought either a 125 or a 250 2-stroke or 250 4-stroke. I am by all means not an expert rider but am not a beginner either...

Ohh and by the way, I haven't seen a big difference in power between his 03 450 and my 00 426. I will say the supsension and handling is night and day over my sled. I bought my 00 426 used and have not tore it down yet so it could have some extras but I doubt it. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 27, 2005 - 04:43 PM

The point I was trying to make is that if someone has a problem stalling a 450 on the MX track, there is a good chance that they have purchased the wrong bike for their ridding style or their bike has problems...

People do buy bikes "over their head", but stalling out in the tight stuff is one of the most common complaints about that particular model, even from better qualified riders who were new to the bike.

Ohh and by the way, I haven't seen a big difference in power between his 03 450 and my 00 426.

That's because there really isn't much. The '03/'04 models had about 1.5-2 hp over a YZ426 stock for stock, and in 3rd gear and higher, it's not a tremendous advantage. On any given day between two random bikes, they could be equal. The difference is more in the nature of the throttle response and behavior of the engine at lower RPM's which is mostly due to the lack of rotating mass in the 450. The 426 delivers it in a more usable package for a lot of people, but that's what the heavier flywheels are about.

• bob333

Posted August 27, 2005 - 04:58 PM

my dad dropped a tooth in his front sprocket on his wr 426 and it is ten times better i know the trannies are different but a yz will still benifit from a lower gearing

• crayztwentyseven

Posted August 27, 2005 - 08:13 PM

There is a huge difference between the two bikes(in terms of power delivery), I have owned the yz400 and a 00426, and my 03450 can pull my hands off :D much more than the other two. I have just put in hotcams and ported the heads and put on a FMF 4.1 system. I just finished today and the bike can pull a wheelie off of idle in fourth gear :D :D :eek: My 426 had many mods like this and could not do the same thing.

• BIGMO

Posted August 28, 2005 - 04:57 AM

I bought my 04 450F with a DrD flywheel already installed and while I've never ridden the bike without it, I can say that it never stalls. I can basically come to a complete stop in second gear and the bike doesn't even think about stalling. No clutching needed.

3rd gear on a jump face...without flying over it...I don't know if there is any bike that wouldn't stall.

• freekstyle

Posted August 28, 2005 - 07:42 PM

Im not sure of my gearing beacause I bought my bike used and I have been too lazy to investigate it, although I think it is higher that stock. That said, I feel that first second and third gear are perfect for for the way I ride. I like to run it so I know that I can shift into third and it will take me where I need to go so I dont have to worry about fourth too much on the track. I think if any gear is to high it would be fourth, I rarely use it outside of blazzing down a fire road out on the trails, and since I dont use it much It dosent bother me. If I ever get to the level where im doing 200 foot jumps then mabe I'll complain, untill then I'm fine with it.

All the talk about the flywheel weights is starting to get my attention. I am running it stock now. Every thing is sandy here in Florida, and I spin a lot, I keep kicking the backend sideways when I try to skim the woops even with all my weight over the back.

If a weight will make me hook up better, then Im all in!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.