Replace FMF with stock exhaust?

5 replies to this topic
  • AZJeff_99WR400

Posted March 12, 2001 - 10:57 PM

I have a 1999 WR400. YZ timing, jetting and airbox mods. It has an FMF Powercore IV 2 SA exhaust system with the FMF oversized header.

Myself, the desert critters and ALL of my riding friends are more than tired of the ridiculous noise that comes from it.

Since I am an Arizona trail rider and not a racer, I am considering putting on the STOCK 2000 exhaust, but I MUST have the spark arrestor functionality. I need to know if the 2000 WR exhaust has a spark arrestor, and if it has a removeable baffle thing like previous years.

My FMF produces way more than enough power, but the trade-off in noise is no longer acceptable to me. I just want low end grunt. Is the 2000 WR STOCK exhaust the way to go? I understand for the 2000 year they actually made the exhaust out of stainless instead of recycled American cars!!!???

Please advise, your real-world comments are always appreciated.

-Jeff

• Bryan Bosch

Posted March 12, 2001 - 12:48 PM

Stroker SX-1 + FMF Powerbomb header. Reasonable sound output with good power.

• AZJeff_99WR400

Posted March 12, 2001 - 01:22 PM

Hey Bryan.

What are the decibel (DB) levels of this pipe/header combo?

Also, what manufacturer makes the Stroker SX-1?

I have read the internal specs on the FMF Powerbomb header. I'm not too impressed by the fact that it has steel wool in it. I'm thinking this stuff will eventually burn out and you can't repack the headpipe from what I can see.

I'd certainly like to hear more info on this combo and subject.

-Jeff

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Kevin

Posted March 12, 2001 - 01:26 PM

www.strokerspeed.com.

Noise, in my opinion, is nothing like stock w/ baffle removed. Considerably more quiet, but still louder than stock with HP prohibiter installed. There is also a quiet tip insert available if you want.

------------------
'99 WZ with all YZ mods, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted March 12, 2001 - 03:20 PM

Originally posted by AZJeff_99WR400:
Hey Bryan.

What are the decibel (DB) levels of this pipe/header combo?

Also, what manufacturer makes the Stroker SX-1?

I have read the internal specs on the FMF Powerbomb header. I'm not too impressed by the fact that it has steel wool in it. I'm thinking this stuff will eventually burn out and you can't repack the headpipe from what I can see.

I'd certainly like to hear more info on this combo and subject.

-Jeff

Search the site for info on this combo. I did lots of research and this combo seemed to be winner over many as a balance between power and sound. I chose the FMF MegaMax II due to its tuning abilities. With 5-7 discs and the included quiet core insert, I think you'd like the pipe very much. It's 3.5 lbs lighter than the stocker as well.

• Hick

Posted March 12, 2001 - 03:28 PM

Originally posted by AZJeff_99WR400:
I am considering putting on the STOCK 2000 exhaust, but I MUST have the spark arrestor functionality.

BMP makes an insert that converts the stock silencer to a disc-type S/A. By putting fewer discs you may end up quieter than stock.

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.