Best skid plate for WR450?

22 replies to this topic
  • JeffWR

Posted August 07, 2005 - 02:13 PM

Need some help on deciding, thanks.
Jeff

• Valerie Wilson

Posted August 07, 2005 - 02:19 PM

Did you do a search??? There are alot of threads on this topic. I'm sure you'll find the answers and comments that your looking for.

• southernbornWR

Posted August 09, 2005 - 03:38 PM

Check out Devol or Works Connection. I have a Devol on my 05 WR and I've hit rocks that make it sound like the liberty bell with no damage to the skidplate, the bike, ot the most important part...me.

• rushfan

Posted August 09, 2005 - 04:31 PM

Utah Cycle...THERE IS NOTHING BETTER :D

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 09, 2005 - 04:48 PM

I'm not too passionate about many items that I put on my bike, but Devol is one of them. Devol has done a great job on their skidplates. They don't come with heavy steel clamps like some and use minimal mounting hardware, they are durable like most aluminum skidplates and well worth the money, I just bought one for my WR... They're great...

• tp3dxf

Posted August 09, 2005 - 04:49 PM

Another vote for Utah Cycle. Tough as nails. I have deep dents and gouges in mine. I can't imagine the damage that would have occured without it.

It uses the same mounts as the stock guard.

http://www.utahsportcycle.com/

• BEAN329

Posted August 09, 2005 - 09:01 PM

works connection rad guards and skid plate. :D

• Blaster21996

Posted August 09, 2005 - 09:08 PM

Need some help on deciding, thanks.
Jeff

I put one of these on my bike 5 months ago! I have bashed a lot of rocks with it and it's still looking good. My only gripe is, no oil drain hole. Aside from that .... it was cheap, and the carbon fiber is lighter then any of the aloy's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

• mjslim

Posted August 09, 2005 - 09:33 PM

I have the Devol and it is a nice looking piece of hardware and fits great, but it is not as heavy duty as some of the others (1/8" Aluminum versus 3/16"). It is fine for the riding I do, but if I rode over a lot of rocks I'd probably have opted for the Utah Cycle design. If you go with the Devol, my only criticism, and this probably applies to a lot skid plates, is that the standoff spacers are a bit of a pain in the arse to position during install. It would be nice if they were permanently attached to the rest of the skid plate to make it easier to take on and off. I use masking tape to keep them from sliding around during install, and next time I take the plate off I'll probably glue the suckers on there once and for all.

• bg10459

Posted August 10, 2005 - 04:25 AM

My GYT-R skid plate works good, but you can't keep the stock case guards without modification. I hear the Flatland skid plate is real good too. Their rad guard is great.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • elton

Posted August 10, 2005 - 04:35 AM

Since the WR has some sort of skid plate or motor protection, I haven't installed anything else.

I did install skids on my KTM's, since without such the motor is exposed. But the WR comes with fairly good protection around and under the motor -- what am I missing?

Elton

• average joe

Posted August 10, 2005 - 06:59 AM

another vote for utah here

• rushfan

Posted August 10, 2005 - 10:11 AM

Since the WR has some sort of skid plate or motor protection, I haven't installed anything else.

I did install skids on my KTM's, since without such the motor is exposed. But the WR comes with fairly good protection around and under the motor -- what am I missing?

Elton

The oil lines on the right side of the engine are exposed without any protection. The Utah skid plate will protect that area and more.
http://www.utahsportcycle.com/

That is what you're missing... :D

• SteveWR450F

Posted August 10, 2005 - 10:26 AM

Rooster Performance also makes nices plates and radiator braces. I have flat land racing radiator braces and have used their skid plate. They make very good stuff. Right now, I am using carbon fiber plate because it is quieter than an alum. plate.

• extex

Posted August 10, 2005 - 04:10 PM

Utah! Easy install, great coverage and very strong.

• INJURY_69

Posted August 10, 2005 - 06:22 PM

utah, it's not too heavy and it's low $$

• Indy_WR450

Posted August 10, 2005 - 06:41 PM

I love the utah sport cycle bash plate. Just be prepared to drill holes for weep hole drain and enlargen the oil drain slot towards the rear tire for better access. :D

Posted Image

Rides like this one I just got back from Idaho beat the plate up real bad but the welds and shape are still holding well! :D

• rushfan

Posted August 10, 2005 - 06:59 PM

I love the utah sport cycle bash plate. Just be prepared to drill holes for weep hole drain and enlargen the oil drain slot towards the rear tire for better access. :D

Posted Image

Rides like this one I just got back from Idaho beat the plate up real bad but the welds and shape are still holding well! :D

Well that's a great reason to have any skid, but I have to ask...WHAT THE HECK WERE YA DOING TRYING TO CLIMB SH!T LIKE THAT FOR?? :D

• timvv51

Posted August 10, 2005 - 07:07 PM

That looks pretty sick Indy. About skid plates. About a year ago I happened upon a carbon fiber unit on Ebay and won a cheap bid. I had to do a little massageing to get it to fit right and I figured it would crack but it was cheap so I thought what the heck. Well a year later the thing seems to be bomb proof so if anybody is wondering about carbon fiber, mine seems to be holding up quite well. Sorry I dont even remember the brand name.

• Blaster21996

Posted August 11, 2005 - 06:36 AM

That looks pretty sick Indy. About skid plates. About a year ago I happened upon a carbon fiber unit on Ebay and won a cheap bid. I had to do a little massageing to get it to fit right and I figured it would crack but it was cheap so I thought what the heck. Well a year later the thing seems to be bomb proof so if anybody is wondering about carbon fiber, mine seems to be holding up quite well. Sorry I dont even remember the brand name.

You probably got the same one I got on e-bay. It is a fantastic part for the price, however, if I was doing crap that "Indy" was doing in Idaho (idontknow), I would use steel encased depleted uranium armour as a skid plate! (see Abrams tank http://www.army-tech...rojects/abrams/ ) :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.