Clutch cable issue

2 replies to this topic
  • roostmonster

Posted August 07, 2005 - 10:03 AM

I replaced my clutch cable with a new motion pro cable I got from the dealer. I checked the cable length and the new one was a bit shorter. I figured it was due to the old cable being stretched out. Anyways, I get the new cable installed and when I go to adjusting it I found that I have to have the adjustment at the actuator arm all the way to the end. What I mean is that there is no more room for adjustment, ( make the cable shorter), and the "on the fly" adjustment is in the middle. When I took off the old cable, both perch and actuator adjustments were about in the middle. Any way, I found that if I start adjusting either way I have waaaaaaaay too much play in the clutch lever. Right now everything is perfect. I have maybe 1/4 inch of movement before the bike starts to roll. Could this be a sign that I am probably due for a clutch replacement or am I just living up to my title of a TT newbie. Any help would be appreciated. Sarcasm is welcome. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ridesblue

Posted November 17, 2005 - 05:35 PM

you know i am having the same problem and have not yet figured out why. tried a different cable and an after market perch (msr raptor) and still the same deal, to get the right amount of clearance i have to put both ends of the cable at the extreme ends.

• ISBB

Posted November 17, 2005 - 08:06 PM

i know the freeplay in the lever should be about a nickles width... and i replaced mine with a motion pro cable... set it up pretty much the same way sept my on the fly is almost all the way out... i figure its not to tight where it is its just right... and then i have plenty of adjustment if it decides to strech... i have 2 weekends of good riding on it with no ill effects..

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.