XR-650R electric help

6 replies to this topic
  • Fingers

Posted August 07, 2005 - 06:02 AM

I have a street legal "DK" version of the BRP bought in Japan. The "DK" electrical system has a higher output stator and a small regulator/rectifier and condensor that aparently (from my read of the diagram) only powers the brake light, there is no battery. I need a power source for my bar mounted 12V GPS. When I wire it into the power off the condensor/rectifier it works fine until I hit the brakes and then it loses all power. What could solve this problem short of adding a battery and charging system (I hate to add that much weight)? Would a bigger condensor work? Thanks to anyone who can help.

• BWB63

Posted August 07, 2005 - 08:20 AM

I would try a full wave bridge rectifier and capacitor off the head light. That would be real small weight and stop the voltage drop from the tail light.

• Blade Man

Posted August 07, 2005 - 08:22 AM

I have a 94 XR600R with stop/tail and head light. also wired in a horn to make it street legal. My horn doesnt work unless everything is unpluged and when I press the brake the head light gets really dim. I have talkde to local Honda techs and belive that the wiring is correct. I think mabee the stator is not puting out enough power but am not sure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shward1

Posted August 07, 2005 - 11:39 AM

I would not recommend running any electronics directly off the stock AC electrical system. The AC regulator really does a poor job and large voltage spikes could definitely cause serious damage to devices like GPS units.

I have converted my XR650R over to DC using a regulator/rectifier and battery pack from Baja Designs. I am able to run my stock headlight, tail/brakelight, front and rear turn signals, and one 12V electronic device (GPS or satellite radio) without any issues. I didn't even have to rewind the stator, although I will at some point because I want to get even more power for a high beam headlight and additional accessories.

As far as weight is concerned, I can't image the 1.5 pounds that the regulator/rectifier and battery pack added could make that big of a difference.

Contrary to Baja Designs installation instructions which recommends installing the regulator/rectifier under the seat and on top of the airbox, I mounted it inside the airbox. Space under the seat is really tight and there is plenty of room inside the airbox. If you pick the right spot inside the airbox the regulator/rectifier will not restrict air flow at all.

• Fingers

Posted August 07, 2005 - 02:12 PM

1.5 lbs for a 12V battery and regulator, that sounds reasonable. What did you wire the power to the regulator/rectifier from?

• shward1

Posted August 07, 2005 - 06:33 PM

Check out the below link for a wiring diagram -

http://www.bajadesig...nstructions.htm

• shward1

Posted August 07, 2005 - 06:34 PM

Here is a better link

http://www.bajadesig...- Universal.pdf

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.