Anybody know any good SoCal lawyers?

I finished my law degree in Canada this spring and was thinking about articling, but I'd like to do it in SoCal, so I can enjoy the sun, surf and sand. Personal injury and intellectual property (patent litigation) are my interests. Goes along with the medical background. Any contacts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jason

If ya want me to canbalize a phone book and send the "Law/Lawyer" pages, just lemme' know and send a PM with address. Someday you can represent me in court when I whip my ol ladies ass for bitching at me I ride every Sunday ALL DAY LONG !!!

I finished my law degree in Canada this spring and was thinking about articling, but I'd like to do it in SoCal, so I can enjoy the sun, surf and sand. Personal injury and intellectual property (patent litigation) are my interests. Goes along with the medical background. Any contacts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jason

I'm in IP. There are several IP firms in the greater L.A. area, more in Orange County and San Diego. My advice to you would be to subscribe to the Daily Journal and or get an agent. They may be able to point you in the right direction. Its a niche field.

Oh, wait a minute! I just realized that you're from Canada. I take it all back!

We're just sick and tired of you Canadians coming down here and stealing jobs from our Mexicans. It's just plain wrong.

Tim

Thanks Tim. What do you mostly practice? Hi tech? Or pharmaceutical? Trademark?

Jason

I work for a boutique that handles a little bit of everything. Sort of slim on the biotech end of things, however. I'm involved in foreign trademark prosecution. Look up Matura Farrington on the web. They are a placement agency that specializes in IP placement.

BTW: Are you crazy or something? So Cal isnt exactly the land of milk and honey. Lots of competition here and the cost of living is pretty high. We do have plenty of places to ride though :D

Good luck to you.

Tim

Foreign TM prosecution? Sounds interesting! Do you have trouble collecting on judgements?

Pretty competitive? I got the feeling that law was competitive everywhere these days. Seems like it's pretty competitive around the Greater Toronto area, but I also haven't been looking too hard yet.

Do you know anything about the Hawaii legal market? I don't imagine there's much IP or healthcare stuff, but there must be a need for general legal work. Any thoughts??

Foreign TM prosecution? Sounds interesting! Do you have trouble collecting on judgements???

More trouble collecting payment from clients!

Do you know anything about the Hawaii legal market? I don't imagine there's much IP or healthcare stuff, but there must be a need for general legal work. Any thoughts

I don't know anything about what's happening in Hawaii. I suppose you could practice "door law" just about anywhere.

What sort of hoops do you have to jump through to practice in the states? Just sit for the Bar?

Just curious.

Tim

Tim,

I'm not sure of all the requirements yet. From what I know at this stage, you have to have secured a job first, then apply for a temporary visa, then do your articling, then apply to write the bar.

As for bar writing requirements, I'm not sure if there are any additional requirements for foreign articlers. I'll check the website.

jason

A man went to a brain store to get some brain to complete a study. He sees a sign remarking on the quality of professional brain offerred at this particular brain store. He begins to question the butcher about the cost of these brains.

"How much does it cost for engineer brain?"

"Three dollars an ounce."

"How much does it cost for programmer brain?"

"Four dollars an ounce."

"How much for lawyer brain?"

"$1,000 an ounce."

"Why is lawyer brain so much more?"

"Do you know how many lawyers we had to kill to get one ounce of brain?"

After their car broke down on a lonely country road, three men sought a night’s shelter at a farmhouse. The farmer, poor but eager to help them, said that he only had two beds so one of the three would have to sleep in the barn.

Immediately, one of the travelers, a polite Hindu mathematician, agreed and left for the barn. A short while later he returned and apologetically explained that there were cows in the barn and for religious reasons he could not sleep there.

Another of the guests, a conservative rabbi, volunteered, picked up his bedding and left for the barn. It wasn’t long before he returned complaining that the pig in the barn made it impossible for him to sleep there.

The last of the stranded trio, a lawyer, sighed and grudgingly picked up his bag and shuffled off to the barn.

Soon, there was another knock at the door. When the farmer answered it, there were the cows and the pig.

:D

Heh heh heh. Good one, Sonic.

A man died and was taken to his place of eternal torment by the devil.

As he passed sulfurous pits and shrieking sinners, he saw a man he recognized as a lawyer making love to a beautiful woman.

"That's not fair," he complained. "I face torment for all eternity, and that lawyer gets to spend it making love to a beautiful woman."

"Shut up!" barked the devil, jabbing the man with his pitchfork. "Who are you to question her punishment?"