How do I hook up this vacuum fuel pump?

I don't know specifically for an XR but vacuum is obtained from the engine side of the carby butterfly (on the carby usually). You may find a hose attached that gives vacumm when the engine is running at idle (cut and insert "T" piece from your fish tank). You won't get any vacuum at high revs but I assume it pumps it into your main tank as required so it shouldn't matter. Carbs usually have a vacuum take off which is used to balance them on multi cylinder engines. You may find it still has one but has been blocked off... good luck, should be fairly simple.

Mark

somebody showed me that this morning in a reply but what good is it? It is a threaded 1/8" hole at most. How in the heck are you going to get vacuum from that port? It would require some really really small specialty barb that you will not find anywhere.

on the XR650R there is a vacuum port right by the intake manifold on the head with a threaded plug in it..........left hand side..... :D

That's exactly the location that the "limited edition" (read California) model has a hose fitting for vacum. It runs to the "Pulse Secondary Air Injection Pump" (smog crap). This might be the first time that somebody wants to put part of the smog kit ON their bike :D

The block off kits seem to come with a vinyl cap that simply slips on this fitting, but that threaded plug sounds like a more reliable solution - I sense a trading opportunity showing up here. Find a CA bike and swap the plug for the port.

Just a thought, but wouldn't it be easier to install another petcock on the other side? If you have a conical step drill of the correct size you can drill a hole with the correct step for the o-ring. The metal threaded inserts for the fixing bolts are available in model shops. Once installed, just run a fuel pipe into a t piece in your normal fuel-carb hose.....just take your time or get a machine shop to do it for you....

Now you can all call me crazy......but i've done this on plastic fuel storage tanks on my farm and they don't leak....yet..lol

• 4 months later...

Howdy!

I am waiting delivery on an IMS 7.0 gal tank. I came across your thread and I was wondering how you made out with the install and your opinion of the tank. It’s a little late now I suppose, because I can’t return it. Closeout special for $175.

How was IMS when you called? Did they answer your question and what was the solution? Are you still running the tank and do you recommend it.

Thanks!

Tom

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to call IMS direct and get their opinion.

As for a second petcock, you need to have it higher than the carb., and this tank has very low sideskirts, well below the carburetor.

You can go to ANY auto parts store, talk to the pimple faced kid behind the counter and say "one 1/8NPT male hose barb please". And he will return with a shiny brass object worth between $1.00 and $2.00. Pay the man, install, ride.

The kid might be able to hook you up with more hose if you ask nice.

I tried that today, but that’s not the one I needed. I need the fitting that goes into the intake manifold for the vacuum driven fuel pump. It’s a really small fitting, 5mm plug there now. The parts guy checked everything he could think of but no luck. So…

I called IMS today and they will send the missing vacuum fitting to me. Cool! It’s suppose to be in the kit. They said something like there were two different tanks, one for CA that doesn’t need the part and another for the rest of the country. I got mine from BD so I guess it was the CA kit…