02 wr426 setup

8 replies to this topic
  • byggd

Posted August 05, 2005 - 12:44 PM

I did a search but didn't see anything on this. I'm 6' and 200 lbs. My suspension is stock and I don't race, just trail ride and some desert. The Yamaha shop said to just set all the adjustments back to factory and stay with stock springs because the bike was built for someone of my size and weight. Any other opinions?

• byggd

Posted August 06, 2005 - 06:21 AM

I know there are a lot of 426 owners out there........one of you must have an opinion :D

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted August 06, 2005 - 06:58 AM

I have an '02 WR426 too, and the stock springs are too soft for us 200lb-ers. I would fit 4.6 or 4.7kg fork springs, and a 5.4 or 5.6 rear shock spring. Quality fork oil is worth its weight too. :D

• bigdrtrdr

Posted August 06, 2005 - 07:06 AM

Your springs should be ok unless your an A rider.
I had to go stiffer, 6'9" 260 just to get the sag right.
Guts racing makes a cool tall seat kit.
Fastway low pegs are great for big boots.
I also use the Rekluse auto, It's like cheating!
Bar risers and a set of Doug Henry ProTapers and your set.
Eric

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tp3dxf

Posted August 06, 2005 - 08:55 AM

ESP did my suspension On my 01 WR 426. I race dez novice (not a fast guy) and trail ride in the forest mostly.

They set my bike up for a 170 lb rider. Kept the stock front springs. I believe they did some valving work up front as well. On the rear they installed a stiffer spring and re-valved the shock. They also used a very light weight oil both front and rear.

Overall the bike felt much better in the whoops and g-outs. It maintained a supple inital stroke but did a much better job of resisting bottom outs. Very good for the stuff I ride. Could be a little stiffer but better then stock.

• byggd

Posted August 06, 2005 - 09:46 AM

I have an '02 WR426 too, and the stock springs are too soft for us 200lb-ers. I would fit 4.6 or 4.7kg fork springs, and a 5.4 or 5.6 rear shock spring. Quality fork oil is worth its weight too.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for :D Did you up the springs for racing or trail riding?

• Sylvain

Posted August 06, 2005 - 02:15 PM

I'm 6'2" at around 240 # fully dressed for combat, and you have to add a full tank of gas (Acerbis 3.4). I ride MX track when I can and trail ride.

I ride stock front spring. I bottomed a few times and had to turn the adjustment almost to the max. The fork was stiff, to say the least. On my last front fork seal change, I brought the oil level (Bel Ray 5 weight) up to 100mm (the spec are 80 to 180 if I remember well). Now the front adjuster are in the middle range (close to the oem spec). The forks are softer and I don't bottomed them when landing where I use to. :D

For the rear I went to a 5.8 and adjusted the sag to 110-115 mm. I have the rear shock serviced every winter, seal/oil/gas.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted August 06, 2005 - 08:10 PM

Thanks, that's what I was looking for :D Did you up the springs for racing or trail riding?

No racing, only trails with a fair bit of jumping for fun. BTW, I never did fit those fork springs I recommended to you, but I sure needed them for jumps. My 426 is set up as a SuperMotard now, and on the road with a 320mm front disc, i'm finding the stock springs are diving a HUGE amount under brakes. :D Time to pull out my wallet finally..... :D

• JRAMBO

Posted August 07, 2005 - 08:16 AM

I also had to go to stiffer springs 6'0 215LBS but I ride pretty hard A little MX and a lot of trails riding with a lot of jumping the jumping is when my stock springs could not handle it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.