Baja Designs head light dim / blinker not working problem...

2 replies to this topic
  • joecallan

Posted August 05, 2005 - 12:23 PM

I have a question for the electrical wizards in here. :eek:

I put on a Baja Designs kit on my WR400, 2000 in 2001. It worked great for like 1.5 years. Then the Ni-cad battery crapped out. I bought a new one and that one crapped out after about 1.5 years.
NI-Cad 700mA = stock BD battery

Crapped out = lights dim; and blinkers/horn won't work well, and now, not at all

I was tired of the batteries crappying out, so I built a Ni_MH battery pack. I put it in and it worked for a few minutes then crapped out.
Ni_MH 10cells at ~1100mA

So, I thought my regulator couldn't charge it because I know that Ni_MH takes more power to charge. Then I decided to try a Capacitor to 4700uF 25V instead of messing with batteries (baja designs told me what size). It works but it's not enough to run the blinkers and the head light bulb is a little dim. I think this is because of an underlying problem.

MY :D QUESTIONs: What could be the problem?

How do I test the regulator to see if it's bad?
How would I test the stator?
Is the stator also called a lighting coil?
What is a CDI magneto?

I'm confused and ignorant. This stuffs new to me.

:D Thanks for help in advance!!!!! :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dominator426

Posted August 13, 2005 - 04:32 PM

You just need a new regulator/rectifier. It's the same used in most late '90s to early 2000s Ski-Doo snowmobiles with electric start.
I also upgraded to a home-made NI-MH battery and it does charge quite slowly, but everything works well. Try to have a small air space behind your reg/rect for better cooling.

• joecallan

Posted August 14, 2005 - 09:42 AM

Thanks man, I bought one. I'll install it today... and tell everyone how it worked. :D I also bought a lead acid battery, because they are supposed handle the sh.. better.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.