XR650 'R' versus 'L'

104 replies to this topic
  • nanoonanook

Posted August 05, 2005 - 11:24 AM

Howdy all,

Newb to this forum (coming from ODSC forum as there seems to be a more bike specific community here) and I was hoping that I could pick your brains w.r.t. the primary differences between the XR650 'R' and 'L' models.

Some specific questions to start and please feel free to throw in your own..... potentially biased comments ! :D

I have read that there is a fairly large compression difference (10:1 versus 8.3:1) not to mention the liquid versus air cooling. How much will this effect real world horse power when both bikes are uncorked?

On that point, I have read tonnes about uncorking the 'R' but can one uncork the 'L' to the same extent?

50lbs difference ! When blue plating (street legal) the 'R' how much weight does one add to do this? I'm thinking a bajadesigns headlight kit, new battery, small blinkers and one mirror... am I missing anything?

Is there an after market electric starter for the 'R' ?

Thanks for all of your comments, I have enjoyed lurking around... learning lot's already !

AW

• Jayzonk

Posted August 05, 2005 - 11:40 AM

Dude, keep your life simple - get an L! Spend your time riding, not cabbaging up your bike. I'm a firm believer that the L will be a prize antique some day. Try to get your hands on one now!

• TimBrp

Posted August 05, 2005 - 12:03 PM

How is a battery operated, electric start machine simple?

LOL, here we go again.

• ghoti

Posted August 05, 2005 - 12:17 PM

How is a battery operated, electric start machine simple?

LOL, here we go again.

Well we don't have to sit up on the gas cap to keep the front wheel on the ground.

tssssssp-tuwie.

PS do a search, it's our favorite thing to argue about.

• justicedone

Posted August 05, 2005 - 01:45 PM

Takes a real man to climb the hill on an "L"

any fool could point and shoot an "R"

some of us perfer' the technical challenges that come with a less powered beast

• captb

Posted August 05, 2005 - 01:54 PM

Dude, keep your life simple - get an L! Spend your time riding, not cabbaging up your bike. I'm a firm believer that the L will be a prize antique some day. Try to get your hands on one now!

I thought the L was a antique. :D

• BWB63

Posted August 05, 2005 - 03:00 PM

I think the "XR650L is the Best bike in the world" Thread covers most of the fun of bashing each bike and getting to know each other.

So,
The big difference' are:

XR650L is steal frame, steal gas tank, CV caburetor (the throttle cable does not directly pull the slide up, Vacuum does) electric, start battery, air cooled, xr600r forks, lights, ready for the streat, ready to ride weight is 348 pounds (with all the smog junk removed), 31 foot pounds torque and 36 rear wheel horsepower uncorked. With a 10.25:1 piston, cam and pumper carburetor you can have the same reliablility and 42 foot pounds of torque and 50rwhp.

XR650R Aluminuim frame, plastic tank, smooth bore Kehin, Kick start, Water cooled, cheesy worthless lights, Cartridge forks, can be plated with some know how in most states, they do sell a electric start kit, 302 pounds ready to ride, 41 foot pounds torque, 44rwhp, 44fpt and 51rwhp with HRC kit and 48fpt and 58rwhp as a 680cc bike.

They both handle way different. One is a duel sport bike and is made for that. The other is made to be a Baja Race bike and with some work can handle that job well.

http://xr650r.borynack.com/ :D

• nanoonanook

Posted August 05, 2005 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. BWB63, I think you've hit the nail on the head w.r.t. answering my questions. Thanks !

I did have a good read "why the 'L' is the best bike" but I.... how do I say this nicely..... found the info. rather lacking and I was craving a coffee after the read for some funny reason. :D

On the plus side, I do have some time to make my final decision...going back to school for a career change, 20k and a year later let's hope I get a job! :D

See you around everyone. Thanks again.

AW

• hill5150

Posted August 05, 2005 - 04:40 PM

Takes a real man to climb the hill on an "L"

any fool could point and shoot an "R"

some of us perfer' the technical challenges that come with a less powered beast

Please, save it, real men ride 100 MPH across microwave sized boulders for hours on end,Have you? :D We have.......... :D

• justicedone

Posted August 05, 2005 - 06:09 PM

I was jumping the Grand Canyon, before you were a twinkle in your Daddy's eye...

on my L

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hill5150

Posted August 05, 2005 - 07:00 PM

I was jumping the Grand Canyon, before you were a twinkle in your Daddy's eye...

on my L

On the "L" :D :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek: :D God I almost pissed my pants..................

• frankstr

Posted August 05, 2005 - 07:04 PM

on my L

What, Strapped to a rocket....... :D

• huntmaster

Posted August 05, 2005 - 07:07 PM

Oh god...not again. These bikes don't compete with each other.
If you want a foo foo bike for the street, get the "L".
If you care about off-road, cross-country performance get the "R"! he he. :D

• wr450fyamaha

Posted August 05, 2005 - 07:12 PM

go l, e start, factory dual sport, no questionable liquid cooling.

• smashinz2002

Posted August 05, 2005 - 08:20 PM

Well, I have the "R", uncorked, and street legal with a Baja designs kit that adds a claimed 6lbs of weight. Not very noticeable extra weight, but the kit is designed to get you legal, and that's about it. I use my "R" on the street only for getting to a place to ride off-road. Aftermarket E-starts are available.
The "R" is a truly bad ass, big-bore dirt bike with very strong, abrupt power. The "R" engine is definitely it's strongest point. It is reliable, mine is an '00 and has well over 5k miles on it, with no problems. (other than the minor stuff you will read about).
I also have a factory dual sport bike, but it's not a 650 "L". To me, the "L" was just entirely too big and top heavy feeling. I bought a Suzuki DR650SE instead, which is smaller and lower, but more powerful in stock trim than the "L", and lighter.
L.L.

• Jayzonk

Posted August 06, 2005 - 08:45 AM

[quote name='TimBrp']How is a battery operated, electric start machine simple?

Well, you see, TimBurp, you just turn the key to the right, then hit the little button by your right thumb! It's that simple!! :D

• Jayzonk

Posted August 06, 2005 - 08:49 AM

On the plus side, I do have some time to make my final decision...going back to school for a career change, 20k and a year later let's hope I get a job! :D

Dude, if you're going back to school, get an L so you can ride it to school and park it for cheap$$. Student parking can get very expensive! Also, save your money - if you're on a budget, why fart around with street mods? Get the L, you'll have a blast! I love mine! BBIW (best bike in the world).

• huntmaster

Posted August 06, 2005 - 04:14 PM

go l, e start, factory dual sport, no questionable liquid cooling.

Yeah, but none of those fancy overhead cams or multi-valve heads either. Too questionable!
Make it just like a Harley..the pinnacle of reliability! :D

• roadcam

Posted August 06, 2005 - 05:02 PM

What, Strapped to a rocket....... :D

I remember seeing you on TV, ...you were the guy on the gorgeous red air-cooled bike that flew past Evel Knievel about halfway over the canyon ... that was awesome ... ( but, I never inhaled....honest ) :D

• oldturtle

Posted August 06, 2005 - 08:32 PM

The L works fine on rough pavement and smooth graded dirt roads. On dirt with any water bars or whoops or rocks it will feel very front end heavy compared to the R. The R is much more stable and planted at speed in sand and rocks.
If your riding is 60% commuting to work and 40% easy exploring then look at 650L or KLR650. If your riding is 100% serious dual sport with some single track look at 650R. If you need bike for 50% serious dual sport and 50% hard core dirt single track check out an XR400 or 450/400EXC.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.