big problem, decomp plug screw

12 replies to this topic
  • SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted August 05, 2005 - 09:51 AM

ok, so somehow i stripped the screw that holds the decomp plug in. it is now gone, and the decomp plug wont stay in. will it be best to just drill and tap a slighty larger hole(that was my plan for today)? or what would you suggest? thanks for the help.

• s3706

Posted August 05, 2005 - 10:58 AM

I had the same thing happen to me. I found a bigger screw that was a little to long and used my dremel to cut it to the correct length and then tapered the end so it would fit correctly. Then I used a tap that matched my new screw and tapped the hole with some new threads. The fix has been in place for about three weeks and seems to work fine.

• SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted August 05, 2005 - 12:05 PM

awesome, ill try that.

• Hick

Posted August 05, 2005 - 04:37 PM

There is only a few threads in there, so I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

I put a heli-coil in mine, so obviously there is enough material to drill and tap...

• SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted August 05, 2005 - 04:46 PM

where can i get a heli-coil kit?

• fowler175

Posted August 05, 2005 - 05:31 PM

What I did, was tap the plug hole itself with a 1/4 inch pipe tap, and install a 1/4 threaded pipe plug with thread sealant. Looks good, works perfect and there is no way this will come out. You could then just fill the bolt hole with epoxy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted August 05, 2005 - 06:41 PM

I bought a heli-coil kit to repair mine and it worked fine... although the kit is fairly pricey just to fix one hole. If you decide to go this route, just make sure that you dont thread the coil in too far otherwise you wont get the plug back in :D

• crfmatt

Posted August 05, 2005 - 11:20 PM

And I figured I was the only one with this problem!

• Vibeguy

Posted August 06, 2005 - 09:10 AM

The Heli-coil is the preferred way to go for thread repair on the decomp plug retention screw. The screw is only supposed to be torqued to 5 ft/lbs and unless you have a good 1/4" drive torque wrench chances are you're going to over tighten it. I drilled the head of my screw and safety wired it to the mounting boss for the old decomp cable. If you don't safety wire it at least put a drop of red loctite on the threads.

• SSpeeDEMONSS

Posted August 06, 2005 - 02:25 PM

i lost the screw, but i guess i can just get a new one instead of drill and tapping. but, what size heli-coil do i need, and where can i get it? thanks again for the help.

• Hick

Posted August 06, 2005 - 03:45 PM

i lost the screw, but i guess i can just get a new one instead of drill and tapping. but, what size heli-coil do i need, and where can i get it? thanks again for the help.

A good auto parts store should have metric heli-coil kits, maybe not every Pep Boys etc., but they are fairly common and shouldn't be hard to find in your area. Call a fastener or bolt & screw shop.

Not sure about the size, maybe you should get the bolt first and then pick up the kit. Be warned, they can be kind of expensive, a lot more than you will pay for the bolt.

• Vibeguy

Posted August 06, 2005 - 05:07 PM

I believe it is a 6mm x 1.0 thread but I'm 2000 miles away from my bike right now so please confirm the size before you get the kit. The 6mm x 1.0 Heli-Coil kit through McMaster Carr will run you about $40 and comes with 6 ea of 3 different length inserts.

Kind of spendy for 1 repair but the 6mm is a popular size so you should be able to recoup some of the cost from your friends. :D

• 02YZ426

Posted August 06, 2005 - 08:21 PM

Like he said^^^ M6x1.0mm.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.