Please help - Radiator problem

8 replies to this topic
  • 4-StrokeMan

Posted August 05, 2005 - 07:44 AM

Hey guys. I need some help with my 01 426. The main problem is that I let it set up too long. I am trying to get it race ready again and have ran into a major snag. Hopefully you guys can lead me in the right direction. Ok, here it goes........

I was running engine ice for coolant. Everything was great. I wanted to flush the radiator, so i bought some flush and read the direction and off I went. I went riding at a small local track and everything was fine. A few days later I was prepping the bike to ride the following day. Radiator was bone dry. Oh crap, I have a problem. After further investigating, I did not find any leaks. I dont know how the water got out. Also, there is a ton of white mushy stuff all in my hoses, water pump and probably in my block. How do I get that stuff out? How does the water circulate through the engine?

Any advise is more than welcome.

Thanks,
Dustin

• ncmountainman

Posted August 05, 2005 - 07:59 AM

more than likely the flush you used wasn't designed to be run at the temps these bikes see,and just boiled out leaving all the residue and crap behind. try flushing it again,running it just 5-10 minutes(unless the white mushy stuff is too hard to allow circulation) you might have to blow the crap out with a garden hose(take off the lines and seal the hose up to the nipples as best you can,blow out the rads,head,pump etc.) sounds like a mess :D

• MAC426

Posted August 05, 2005 - 08:08 AM

Sounds like a gasket leak to me. Check the water pump gasket and impeller shaft first, the right side gasket next and then the head gasket. The coolant runs through holes along side of the cylinder. Being that the leakage is on the water pump its probably the suspect. It's white so its mixing with oil somewhere. The impeller seal and/or bearing or the right side gasket is where I'd look. Good news is it shouldn't be too costly or time consuming if it's the impeller seal.

• ncmountainman

Posted August 05, 2005 - 10:15 AM

Sounds like a gasket leak to me. Check the water pump gasket and impeller shaft first, the right side gasket next and then the head gasket. The coolant runs through holes along side of the cylinder. Being that the leakage is on the water pump its probably the suspect. It's white so its mixing with oil somewhere. The impeller seal and/or bearing or the right side gasket is where I'd look. Good news is it shouldn't be too costly or time consuming if it's the impeller seal.

drain the oil if it looks milky than that is definately the one of those probs,but if its not and you ran that flush all day it could be some sort of reaction from the flush boiling off?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 4-StrokeMan

Posted August 05, 2005 - 10:41 AM

ncmountainman you said "(take off the lines and seal the hose up to the nipples as best you can,blow out the rads,head,pump etc.)". Sorry but I am not following. What lines should I take off? Start the water from the radiator and flush down?

mac426 quoted "Being that the leakage is on the water pump its probably the suspect". I do not think that it leaked from the water pump. I have not found a leak yet.

This was my process. I drained original coolant (engine ice). Filled with radiator flush that probably was not designed to run in dirt bike (smooth move). Ran the flush for about 2-3 hrs. Drained, then filled with water only. Ran with water only for about 2-3 hrs. Went to drain and got nothing. It was bone dry. I filled the radiator with water again and pull the bolt to drain cooling system and got nothing. I determined a clog somewhere. Started checking and pulling hoses and found that white mush all in system. Got pissed off and left. I have not touched it in about 2 wks.

Maybe that explanation will help you guys give some more ideas to try. Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Keep'em coming.

Thanks again,
Dustin

• ncmountainman

Posted August 05, 2005 - 11:24 AM

drain the oil,see what it looks like. :D

• 4-StrokeMan

Posted August 05, 2005 - 11:35 AM

While prepping the bike for the next ride I changed the oil. It did not seem unusually milky. However, I wasn't inspecting it. It was drained before the radiator problem came up. So if I feel safe and say no milky oil. That would eliminate the head gasket issue right?

• Hick

Posted August 05, 2005 - 04:41 PM

No, that eliminates the inner water pump seal issue, if all your coolant leaked out there you would have known as soon as you saw your oil.

If your coolant is exiting the system via the head gasket then it is ending up as vapor going out the silencer. Not good.

It is either going out the vent, and since all of it disappeared this isn't likely, the outer seal and out the weep hole (just under the impeller cover), or out your exhaust...

• MAC426

Posted August 05, 2005 - 08:30 PM

4 strokeman,
I understand the problem a little better now. I'd remove all the radiator parts, there are, I believe, 4 hoses that interconnect the radiator parts. Remove them, and flush or blow them out with compressed air as ncmountainman said. I would guess the horizontal ones would cause the most trouble. That said, you can reassemble and try to flush the system again with water. If it were me, I'd want to take a look at the cylinder to be sure no passages are blocked. I'd guess you could warp the cylinder if there is a clog. Not sure though.
Man that sucks. Good luck.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.