Free header dent removal

12 replies to this topic
  • MathProf

Posted August 04, 2005 - 11:30 AM

I was reading how someone repeatedly filled their header with water, froze it in the freezer, thawed it , refilled, refroze, etc, in order to remove a dent.

Basically, fill the pipe with water, center the dent in the water, freeze for a few hours(overnight worked for me), thaw with hot water, refill with cold water and refreeze. It's that easy and it worked.

I figured this was worth a try since it was free and found out it really works!! :D

I had a pretty nicely collapsed header pipe that is now much much better.

I just thought you may want to try it before spending your money.

• allan68

Posted August 04, 2005 - 11:43 AM

Very interesting...
What did you use to plug the ends of the header pipe?
What do you mean exactly "centre the dent in the water?"

Al

• MathProf

Posted August 04, 2005 - 03:07 PM

I didn't plug the ends of the header, I just filled the pipe with water.

What I meant about "centering the dent" is that when you put the pipe in the freezer, you want the ice to expand with the greatest force at the dent. The greatest force, I think, is where the amount of water on either side of the dent is roughly equal.

This is not a science, just freeze and thaw water. :D

I had good luck with mine. :D

• sharpmarble

Posted August 05, 2005 - 06:15 AM

I tried this last night with my 2-smoke pipe, it had a huge scrape/dent that was at least an inch deep and five inches long. I got up this morning and took it out...it was almost gone!! there are a few tiny dents, so I'll do it again today which should take those out. What a great trick!! :D

• mjskier

Posted August 05, 2005 - 08:14 AM

I tried this last night with my 2-smoke pipe

Wow, I'm impressed. You have a freezer big enough to hold a 2-smoke pipe ?
I don't think mine would fit without taking all the food out. And if it did I might run into a few interesting discussions with my charming wife... :D

bruno.

• sharpmarble

Posted August 05, 2005 - 09:04 AM

Wow, I'm impressed. You have a freezer big enough to hold a 2-smoke pipe ?
I don't think mine would fit without taking all the food out. And if it did I might run into a few interesting discussions with my charming wife... :D

bruno.

On the bottom of my side-by-side frig-freezer, there is a basket that can be removed. After pulling this out and a little coaxing, it just barely fit.... :D I did get some puzzled looks from my wife, but she was cool with it.... :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted August 05, 2005 - 10:20 AM

you think that raises some eyebrows? try powdercoating in the oven,they don't forget that for years :D i've got a powerbomb header in need of some help,i'll giv'er a go :D

• Fastkid591

Posted August 05, 2005 - 10:21 AM

Does it work with Ti. headers?

• MathProf

Posted August 05, 2005 - 11:43 AM

Well..... NCmountainman

Finish what you started...... :D :D

• jerryls

Posted August 05, 2005 - 12:34 PM

Does it work with Ti. headers?

I've got a pretty banged up Ti header sitting in the garage. I'll report back with results on Monday.

Jerry

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 05, 2005 - 06:41 PM

Good news... And all along I thought the freezer method was an urban myth...
:D

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted August 05, 2005 - 06:51 PM

What a sweet idea. Man, it never ceases to amaze me the shizit I can learn on here :D . NC, what did you powercoat in the oven? :D

• ncmountainman

Posted August 07, 2005 - 05:53 PM

all the suspension parts on a 77 bronco :D works pretty good but the smell is what got me in trouble :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.