How to put CRF Plastics on your BRP?

13 replies to this topic
  • Jolly705

Posted August 04, 2005 - 06:16 AM

I have seen a few photos of the XR650R or L with CRF plastics on it. Is this a direct swap or do you have to fabricate some things? Do you need everything including the tank and seat? I was thinking of doing something similar to my other bike (upgrade 04 to 05 plastics) but I needed to get the tank, seat, etc. which was too much money.

Thanks.

• BSharp

Posted August 04, 2005 - 08:05 AM

I have seen a few photos of the XR650R or L with CRF plastics on it. Is this a direct swap or do you have to fabricate some things? Do you need everything including the tank and seat? I was thinking of doing something similar to my other bike (upgrade 04 to 05 plastics) but I needed to get the tank, seat, etc. which was too much money.

Thanks.

I'm a total Noob, but for what it's worth I don't think it's a direct swap. I PM'ed someone who posted a picture of an XR with CRF bodywork to ask how he did it and he said it was a bear. Had to reshape the plastic tank using a heat gun, that kind of thing. His was an older XR but I doubt the frames and mounting points are any more harmonious on a newer XR. Too bad too, it looks bitchin'.

• jmeperu

Posted April 11, 2007 - 08:47 PM

i want mine to look like this one. what tank is this? ive seen a few on bikes on here. i want!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• ogrider650

Posted April 11, 2007 - 09:01 PM

arent those those smaller crf tanks that you can buy? otherwise those graphics won't fit too small i believe

• porterdog

Posted April 12, 2007 - 04:05 AM

I've done some research on this and there's no easy or cheap answer that I found.

The first couple tanks posted by jmeperu are by BL-Italia (http://www.blitalia.com/), cost ~$450, and are only a smidge bigger than the stocker.

The third, it can be seen, is aluminum (not the right choice for a real-world bike, IMO). It's by Monier, out of Switzerland, I think... had a web link that never worked. Odds are it's $pendy too....

• jmeperu

Posted April 12, 2007 - 06:54 AM

wow, its slightly bigger than a stock tank? i was expecting it to be a 1.8 gal tank like the CRF. so its not a crf tank? is it a custom made tank by that italia site? i have a supermoto bike and im used to 1.8gal tanks so the xr's tank is huge to me so im not really worried about the amount of gas i can carry.

$400 is alot but i think im going to pursue that tank.

thanks for that link!:thumbsup:

• Rangerfng

Posted April 13, 2007 - 03:37 AM

I just did my XRL and it was not a direct swap. I cut away quite a bit of the fender. and after you instal the seat, you still have to cover part of the fender with a bag to hide the part of the fender that would have gone under the CRF seat. I guess the CRF seat is much longer that the XRL. I will post the picks in mr Garage for you to look at.http://www.thumperta...ehicle&vid=9476
I also wrote down exactly what i did. if you need advice let me know.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drop

Posted April 13, 2007 - 06:39 AM

Posted Image

Anyone know who makes those rear turn signal brackets?

• cbaranski

Posted April 13, 2007 - 06:56 AM

www.a-loop.com has something like this

• jmeperu

Posted April 13, 2007 - 07:29 AM

it looks like a-loop only has tanks for the 650L, i have a 650R. plus the tank and shrouds dont look quite as good as the itilia companies tank and shrouds. also it looks like that tank has a petcock on both sides, thats cool!

• RC30

Posted April 13, 2007 - 08:52 AM

The first bike (n.13) mounts a BL-Italia aluminium tank with '05-'07 CRF scoops, the third bike (white) mounts the same BL-Italia aluminium tank with '02-'04 CRF scoops, the second bike (Chinò graphics) mounts a Monnier plastic tank with '97 CR scoops.

The last plastic tank is made from Acerbis in exclusive for Monnier.

Stock tank 2.6 gallons.

BL-Italia tank 1.8 gallons, cost 370 euros.

Monnier tank 1.8 gallons, cost 408 euros.

BL-Italia: www.blitalia.com

Monnier: www.spracing.ch the tank: http://www.spracing....t reservoir.htm

[IMG]......Anyone know who makes those rear turn signal brackets?

Drop, the rear signals are mounted on rear sub-frame which Honda mounts on European XR.

You can see it here:

http://www.thumperta...625#post4048625

and here:

http://www.thumperta...196#post4055196

Piero :thumbsup:

• Rangerfng

Posted April 13, 2007 - 09:25 AM

Just posted some rear fender Mods in my garage. used acebris CRF 450

• jmeperu

Posted April 13, 2007 - 05:55 PM

1.8 seems a little small, pus the price is sorta steep. well i think ill bow out even tho they look super cool.

• Rangerfng

Posted April 15, 2007 - 08:14 AM

Just a quick update on the rear fender. I was having a bit of trouble getting the seat to seat correctly so i had to MOD it a bit more and shave it. see below. The fender and seat fit perfect now and it looks great.
Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.