Torgue difference YZ450F vs WR450F

15 replies to this topic
  • mikinnun

Posted August 04, 2005 - 05:21 AM

Hello,

Can I update my -04 WR450F to operate as YZ450F. It seems to be so that WR has lack of torgue at low RPM compared to YZ, why? Can I do something to run WR better or the way as YZ?

-Kime

• ncmountainman

Posted August 04, 2005 - 05:32 AM

well your kinda backwards :D the wr has much more snap down low. ways to improve on the wr's bottom(after the free mods of course) would be,high flow air filter,,power now,good pipe and muffler(ex;powerbomb header/powercore 4),lower gearing(ex;13 tooth frnt sprkt),proper jetting for the new goodies. by then you should have plenty o'zip :D

• rushfan

Posted August 04, 2005 - 05:52 AM

Hey NC!! I have heard some mixed opinions about the power now. Do you have one on your bike, if so, how much of a difference does it make?
Also, how do you like your power core 4 with the bomb?
Thanks... :D

• ncmountainman

Posted August 04, 2005 - 07:02 AM

Hey NC!! I have heard some mixed opinions about the power now. Do you have one on your bike, if so, how much of a difference does it make?
Also, how do you like your power core 4 with the bomb?
Thanks... :D

the powernow that goes behind the carb(between airboot and carb) is the one to get. the powernow plus that goes between the motor and carb does nothing i could tell. the original powernow does help with throttle response and torque off idle to about half throttle,some people say it takes from the top end a little but i never noticed it. the powerbomb/powercore 4 works great on the yamahas,the pc4 is very versatile also,the SA version is spark arrested, and they offer tunable endcaps and a quiet core insert that brings it down to 94-95 db(depending on who you talk to) :D

• simon@vic

Posted August 04, 2005 - 07:21 AM

what i have personally found is more everything everywhere with the YZ ex cam. but only with a free flowing exhaust... do the fallowing:

-free mods VERY IMPORTANT
-exhaust
-JD jet kit
-air filter
-air box mods

and if that doesn't do enough for you but a yz exhaust cam.

• condog_aus

Posted August 04, 2005 - 12:03 PM

Ive got the YZ450 and ride my mates WR450, we swap bikes for stints regularly in the bush. I would like to get a WR450 as we cant ride our YZ legally in the bush, but I am always disappointed with the WR's lack of snap. Chalk and cheese. The flywheel and cam is the biggest difference. Im surprised ncmountainman says more bottom for a WR. As my YZ has so much snap down low compared to the WR that it is not funny (because of its ability to increase revs so quickly). The YZ accellerates out of corners for the first 30m then the WR comes on and they are pretty much equal. On open roads the WR gearing leaves the 4 speed YZ with a lot to be desired. Maybee on a dyno the WR has a fraction more down low, but in the bush the YZ gets the jump on the WR ot of corners every time without fail. If your thinking thats cause its it front, no, put the WR in front and the YZ gets such a jump out of corners that you have to shut off to give the WR some time to go.
The light flywheel and cam differences makes the YZ really snappy in building its revs. But that means you have to manage your traction and throttle control a lot better in slippery or technical bits... The downside is the flywheeel makes the YZ so damn easy to stall and there aint no electric leg. Its usually not too much of a problem in the bush i ride, but where we race single track enduro its so tight and so easy to stall.

If you have a WR and want to make the thing more like a YZ do the exhaust cam change its the biggest bang for your buck. As to going with a lighter flywheel that depends on the riding you do. If its all tight, steep slippery tree studed single track then definitely stay with the WR flywheel as stalling may be an issue. But if more open then the faster snap of the YZ is very nice indeed.

The jetting on the YZ also likes to be leaner, particularly on the pilot. The WR still has a free mod on the carbie air cut valve that leans out the low you can do, it makes it pop heaps on decel but gets better throttle response off idle. I did it to my WR250F, with great results. See
http://www.thumperfaq.com/acv.htm
or do a search on ACV mod in this forum.

• ncmountainman

Posted August 04, 2005 - 12:17 PM

i've got both bikes and the wr i have is yz'd except for the cam,yz airbox,starterdrive gears gone with a steahly +8(equals about 5 oz less than stock wr) and yes set up like that the wr cam has more bottom;so what i'm saying is if you put a wr cam in the same yr yz it would pull better off the bottom and not pull as much on top. :D

• rushfan

Posted August 04, 2005 - 07:39 PM

the powernow that goes behind the carb(between airboot and carb) is the one to get. the powernow plus that goes between the motor and carb does nothing i could tell. the original powernow does help with throttle response and torque off idle to about half throttle,some people say it takes from the top end a little but i never noticed it. the powerbomb/powercore 4 works great on the yamahas,the pc4 is very versatile also,the SA version is spark arrested, and they offer tunable endcaps and a quiet core insert that brings it down to 94-95 db(depending on who you talk to) :D

Hey NC!! Thanks for all of the info. I still have the stock pipe in my bike but with the baffle(s) removed. So, I have been considering the core4, or the Yosi...not sure yet. Do you still have those triple clamps for sale?

Thanks again. rushfan

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted August 05, 2005 - 05:53 AM

ya buddee, the powerbomb/pc4 combo is great the muffler only weighs 5lbs and i beleive the fmf system is far cheaper than yoshi,with the money you save you can buy those clamps :D i'll pm ya with details as the overseer's don't like no bizness discussions on here :D

• elton

Posted August 06, 2005 - 11:09 AM

[quote name='rushfan']..... have been considering the core4, or the Yosi...not sure yet.

My vote is for the "Yosh TRC comp or pro"; excellent sound level, more bottom, far more mid-hit, excellent fit/finish. After the free mods, JD Kit and now the Yosh TRC pro, there is power everywhere.

Here is the best price I found;

http://www.morepower...PageHistory=cat

Elton

• rushfan

Posted August 06, 2005 - 11:51 AM

[quote name='elton'][quote name='rushfan']..... have been considering the core4, or the Yosi...not sure yet.

My vote is for the "Yosh TRC comp or pro"; excellent sound level, more bottom, far more mid-hit, excellent fit/finish. After the free mods, JD Kit and now the Yosh TRC pro, there is power everywhere.

Here is the best price I found;

http://www.morepower...PageHistory=cat

Elton[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I understand the difference between the comp and the pro. I have heard from others that the yoshi header pipe is well worth the money. Do you agree? Also, what do you thing about the Leo Vince pipes?
www.motorcycle-superstore.com/partslist.aspx?...

Thanks...rushfan

• elton

Posted August 06, 2005 - 01:28 PM

I would get the "TRC/Comp" complete system unless you are going all out; its the same Tri-oval muffler as the TRC/Pro. The only difference is the header pipe -- the "Pro" is Titanium, the "Comp" is steel.

I called Yoshimura and a rep said the only difference is the weight; is less on the Pro, and the header pipe is a bit bigger on the Pro.

I wanted the system quickly and I could get the "Carbon Fiber, TRC/Pro system" faster, so I went for the "big dog"; not sure if the weight difference alone would be worth the extra $210 for a CF system.

NOTE: Your vendor (URL) only seems to offer the Aluminum Canister, TRC/Comp; for a higher price than my guy.

The Leo Vince scared me away, since their specs. don't show for 2005 -- didn't see 05's listed on your vendor either. Also their X3 "IT/Aluminum" muffler system, is over $100 higher than the Yosh TRC/Pro Carbon Fiber ($778 vs. $675).

Elton

• Matty05

Posted August 06, 2005 - 05:28 PM

what do you thing about the Leo Vince pipes?

Leo vince pipes are awesome, if you can afford it. Sano finish, heaps of power and fairly quiet to boot.

• griffithds

Posted August 06, 2005 - 07:39 PM

I have a 05' WR450 with the powernow and love it. More snap from off to half throttle. I notice it most when climbing short hills. That's you are in the 1/4 to 1/2 throttle area.

• rushfan

Posted August 07, 2005 - 06:33 AM

I would get the "TRC/Comp" complete system unless you are going all out; its the same Tri-oval muffler as the TRC/Pro. The only difference is the header pipe -- the "Pro" is Titanium, the "Comp" is steel.

I called Yoshimura and a rep said the only difference is the weight; is less on the Pro, and the header pipe is a bit bigger on the Pro.

I wanted the system quickly and I could get the "Carbon Fiber, TRC/Pro system" faster, so I went for the "big dog"; not sure if the weight difference alone would be worth the extra $210 for a CF system.

NOTE: Your vendor (URL) only seems to offer the Aluminum Canister, TRC/Comp; for a higher price than my guy.

The Leo Vince scared me away, since their specs. don't show for 2005 -- didn't see 05's listed on your vendor either. Also their X3 "IT/Aluminum" muffler system, is over $100 higher than the Yosh TRC/Pro Carbon Fiber ($778 vs. $675).

Elton

Well as always, all you guys are a big help. :D Now it's up to me, I guess, to make a decision. I will have to flip a coin. It will either be the Yoshi or the FMF. :D
Elton...Thanks for the help. With either, I am sure i will be happy.

Thanks again...rushfan

• tp3dxf

Posted August 07, 2005 - 08:50 AM

I believe the YZ450 is a 4 speed and the WR450 is a 5 speed. The transmission ratios are probably different. The WR can be timed like the YZ to give it a harder hit. That may help with your bottom end power needs. I would suggest a simple gearing change. Add a couple of teeth to the rear or go one smaller on the front should do the trick.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.