650R Reliability

29 replies to this topic
  • Mark_Bear

Posted August 09, 2005 - 12:08 AM

Hey Irondude,

I must say I wasn't too impressed after seeing the first pic but now I know more about it, I can it was designed to be functional. The later pics show how much time and effort has gone into it. I must confess to being a complete novice when it comes to touring like that, so info like this is always handy, in my naive state of la la land, I would have thought you just buy a new bike and hang racks on it for your stuff and go...ha ha ha.

I love my 650, after having 4 previous XR's and L's, but I generally leave them stock and learn to live with them, mostly due to financial constraints. I am sure you carefully considered many other bikes with a budget like that but I would have thought that other bikes may have been more suited. I'd really appreciate it if you could share some of your views on the other candidates.

Have you written anything up about your adventure? I reckon it'd be a fantastic read.

Regards

Mark (Aus)

• SaltyWalrus

Posted August 09, 2005 - 10:25 AM

Yes, let's hear about your adventure! The Irondude verson of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" or "Motorcycle Diaries".

• drtrider145

Posted August 09, 2005 - 07:06 PM

I thinks it's Bad A$$

• mtrhd101

Posted November 23, 2005 - 03:15 AM

:ride: Someone has tortured that BRP until it cannot be recognized.. Looks like someone on LSD got turned loose with plywood and bondo.. :applause:

• Jayzonk

Posted November 24, 2005 - 11:30 AM

Speaking of pumped-up horsepower, Bombardier makes a 650 engine with 50 hp, but it's efi. Can it be tuned for more power, without reliability problems?? Who would know? Can you squeeze it into a bike frame?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fordskin

Posted November 24, 2005 - 04:03 PM

I am confused. On the pig pen it says that the pig has 48 rear wheel hp. Surely it would not take many mods to take it to 55 hp? Pumper carb, cam, piston, pipe, airbox etc or is are most of these mods just utilising existing hp? :applause:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted November 24, 2005 - 08:13 PM

Thanks. I'll remember you took the time to post that.

Don't get too upset about that Irondude. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I liked that bike. Lot of money poured into it.

• JimT

Posted November 24, 2005 - 10:31 PM

:ride: Someone has tortured that BRP until it cannot be recognized.. Looks like someone on LSD got turned loose with plywood and bondo.. :applause:

You're nuts. That bike is sick.

• char700

Posted November 24, 2005 - 11:53 PM

my L model know looks & feels lighter :applause:
great work putting together that bike :ride:

• BWB63

Posted November 27, 2005 - 08:14 PM

There is a little bit of confussion here. There are two Horsepower ratings being thrown around.....One is Braking horsepower messured at the crank...(Bombardier makes a 650 engine with 50 hp, that should read 50bhp, the XR650R engine puts out 55bhp) the others are talking rear wheel horsepower messured with a dynamometer. The XR650R (uncorked and running it's best) puts out 44rwhp (24% difference then the 55bhp) The XR650R with the 11:1 HRC kit is about 62bhp or 51rwhp. My 680cc XR is 72bhp and 58rwhp. That "Bombardier makes a 650 engine with 50 hp" would be 40rwhp on the dyno.

The Irondude bike is a bike setup for the Paris to Dakar Rally and it take a bike setup like that to make it the almost 6000 miles! That is right a 6000 mile race. Putting that into consideration it's an awesome looking bike, not a woods bike but a bike built for a certain race.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.