another octane question!

10 replies to this topic
  • fowler175

Posted August 03, 2005 - 04:39 PM

Just curious, has anyone had bad experiences runnind a low octane(like 87) fuel in their yzf? I'm not planning on cheaping out on fuel or anything, but I may have accidentally put 87 octane in mine, and was wondering if that could cause the probs I had with my bike acting like it was locking up? I have done everything. Checked the timing, head/valves, cylinder/piston, crank, flywheel & woodruff key, clutch, tranny, etc. and everything is perfect, so I'm really just guessing & grasping at straws now.

Anybody?

• flintlock28

Posted August 03, 2005 - 05:10 PM

I know the recommended fuel octane rating is 91 octane (pump gas); in fact one of the Motocross magazines recommended either using 91 or 92 octane (anything higher results in a waste of dollars spent and also slightly less horsepower) when used in our four strokes. I doubt other than a little pinging, would you experience any other problems, especially if you weren't racing. I think a friend of mine ran 89 by accident one day when we rode together, and he didn't have any problems at all. I think you may have other problems, but that's just an educated guess....

• mxaction

Posted August 03, 2005 - 06:23 PM

If your not racing dont worry about it, you wont notice much a difference.

Just try not to let it become a regular occurance.

• 426boy

Posted August 03, 2005 - 06:56 PM

my friend runs straight 87 in his crf-x seems to work just fine

• fowler175

Posted August 03, 2005 - 07:41 PM

Well, that sucks. I was hoping it was something simple. Guess I'll just put er back together and hope for the best.
BTW, I do race, and my manual calls for 95 octane. I typically run 92-93 pump.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoBilly

Posted August 04, 2005 - 06:45 AM

on my 02 CRF450 and 98WR400 I ran middleof the road 89oct and it worked just fine. I understand at altitude you may be able to get away with this. I did notice the piston had more carbon on it though.

• mxaction

Posted August 04, 2005 - 09:13 AM

my friend runs straight 87 in his crf-x seems to work just fine

It also depends on your altitude. The higher up you go, the less octane you'll need.

• BlueRide

Posted August 04, 2005 - 01:03 PM

I run 89 octane pump in my 99YZF here in CO (6k+ ft) and it runs great. I've actually been told several places that due to the nature of the YZF running hot that 95+ octane race gas will burn the valves and damage the engine Yikes!

• grayracer513

Posted August 04, 2005 - 01:27 PM

I've actually been told several places that due to the nature of the YZF running hot that 95+ octane race gas will burn the valves and damage the engine Yikes!

It's a myth. Race gas can be dangerous if you don't jet for it, but it usually isn't. Octane does not change the burn temperature or rate, the vaporization rate, or the energy content of the fuel. You need 91 to avoid pinging, but paying for more than you need is a simple waste of money. Note that VP U4 racing fuel is 92 octane.

• BlueRide

Posted August 04, 2005 - 04:11 PM

I stand corrected,good to know Grayracer! I seem to remember using race fuel as a kid racing desert and I thought it was closer to 100. I guess I talked my self into thinking the bike ran hotter. I still run mid-grade pump gas, that way I'll fill up the bike and the truck on the way to ride. :D

• grayracer513

Posted August 04, 2005 - 04:35 PM

I seem to remember using race fuel as a kid racing desert and I thought it was closer to 100.

Racing fuels for two-strokes sometimes are 100 octane or more, but four-strokes don't need it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.