05 WR450 question, valve adjustment per manual

5 replies to this topic
  • 4strokecowboy

Posted August 03, 2005 - 10:06 AM

Manual said adjust valves after break in. Is this what most folks do? Are they generally out of spec after break in? How long will it take first time around for a decent mechanically minded, tool carrying, beer drinking old fart like me? I guess I need to buy some shims before I get started. Anyone have any tricks, tips, or words of wisdom?...thanks

• extex

Posted August 03, 2005 - 11:23 AM

I've got 600 miles, got the shims, got some feeler gauges, torque wrench, moly assemble lube, and then decided I better get some new O rings so I should have them Thursday but it's going to be a couple of weeks before I get to it. I'll let you know how long it takes and old (49), beer drinking, desk sitting, amateur mechanic to do it.

• The_Blue_One

Posted August 03, 2005 - 02:35 PM

I checked my valves after 10 hours and they hadn't moved. I then checked every 15 or so and they are still in spec and i'm up to about 60 hrs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • farkawi

Posted August 03, 2005 - 04:22 PM

Mine is due. Just ordered the HotCams shim kit out of the TT store. I'm gonna rip into the linkage and figure out a way to install grease fittings on the swingarm & linkage if possible, service the aircleaner, change the oil again and give it a good once over while I've got it apart for the valve clearance check. All this at 500 mi.

• beezer

Posted August 03, 2005 - 05:10 PM

I wouldn't bother even checking. I have had lots of Yamahas with out 1 ever going out of spec.

The 5 valve motor is rock solid.

There are guys that have gone thousands of miles with no clearance problems.

• clark4131

Posted August 03, 2005 - 05:47 PM

I checked mine at 150 miles and had 3 out of spec...2 exhaust, 1 intake. I found a lot of shops don't carry the shims, so call around before you dig into the motor. You can order them from the TT Store for about $5 per pack of 5 shims. They went for $10 per shim at the local shop where I found them when I did the valves the first time, which was $7 cheaper than the local dealer. I think the Hot Cams kit is too expensive. The ones I bought for my next shim check are on page 952 of the 2005 Parts Unlimited catalog. I just ordered 5 different sizes so I have a variety of shims for a lot less.

As far as the process goes, my best advice for the first time is to read the manual a couple of times and go SLOW! From start to finish, with a lot of other jobs going on with the bike, it took me about 7 hours, including the trip down to the shop. The next time I do it, I can probably handle it in under 90 minutes. Make sure you have a full set of the Motion Pro feeler gauges, a bottle of assembly lube, a quality 1/4" or 3/8" torque wrench in inch-pounds, and a clean workspace. I also found a good set of universal joints for the wrench helped immensely for the tight spaces. I also did one shim and bucket at a time. The manual said to pull them all out at the same time, but I didn't want to start mixing things up, so I never had more than one shim and bucket out. Lastly, make sure you stuff something in the timing chain area so nothing drops in. Have a good extendable magnetic probe handy just in case.

The whole process seems intimidating, but once you've done it, you'll see it's a very straight forward procedure. If you get into trouble, you can always jump on the message board and we'll lend a hand. Buena Suerte :D ...SC

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.